My wife found a roach at her work. Her boss needs to know which sex it is.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And of course, being the bug guy, I got asked to find out.
I assume I would sex it like I would a B.giganteus, or any other roach ventrally, right? No idea what species it is.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And of course, being the bug guy, I got asked to find out.
I assume I would sex it like I would a B.giganteus, or any other roach ventrally, right? No idea what species it is.
Depending on the life stage it can be tricky.
Adult egg-laying roach females have a specially modified terminal abdominal segment; it will look like two vertical plates. Males will have small horizontal plates with two little cerci-like protrusions coming out of them.

Knowing the species would help too. Pics would help even more.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Depending on the life stage it can be tricky.
Adult egg-laying roach females have a specially modified terminal abdominal segment; it will look like two vertical plates. Males will have small horizontal plates with two little cerci-like protrusions coming out of them.

Knowing the species would help too. Pics would help even more.
I'm assuming it's one of the significant pest species. Beyond that, I'm no entomologist :p. I'll give them a best guess at sex, tell them to watch out for more. I am absolutely not taking the thing home with me though. I have a feeling her boss will ask. I am not doing that--no idea what parasites or pesticides it has and I'm not risking introducing that into my home.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm assuming it's one of the significant pest species. Beyond that, I'm no entomologist :p. I'll give them a best guess at sex, tell them to watch out for more. I am absolutely not taking the thing home with me though. I have a feeling her boss will ask. I am not doing that--no idea what parasites or pesticides it has and I'm not risking introducing that into my home.
Good quick q: Is it purple?

I've got a feeling it's Blatta orientalis; those are relatively common here in Mi.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The relevant parts had been removed when she (wife's boss) ran over it with a supply cart. It looked very similar to my lats, but darker (maybe purple)--I'd be willing to bet it's a B.orientalis. Sex unknown.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The relevant parts had been removed when she (wife's boss) ran over it with a supply cart. It looked very similar to my lats, but darker (maybe purple)--I'd be willing to bet it's a B.orientalis. Sex unknown.
I'd bet on B. orientalis for sure. :p

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd bet on B. orientalis for sure. :p
Very probably. If it weren't for the color I'd swear it came out of my feeder tub. I was so excited to put my bug skills to practical application, and nothing as far as sexing it. Ah well.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just tell him that its the sex he does not want to see around there, and where ever he found it there are 10-15 more hiding nearby..... honesty never hurt anyone truly.