M. martensiis are communal species?

cottonsheep009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems like quite a number of buyers doubt whether M. martensiis are communal species or not.

In fact, M. martensiis are truely communal species and they are captive ranched in great population density with no problem at all. Means, they can be housed together.

I think a picture speaks for thousand words...

Attachments

Last edited:

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im not sure whether this would belong here, but I am considering buying from you. But, how would 40 of these scorpions find their way from China onto my doorstep without US Customs seizing the parcel or something of the sort?

Seeing as you are advertising here, shipping questions about your business might as well belong here too.

cottonsheep009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, I would say most M.martensiis you find on invert shops/online invert shops come from China. How can all these well established invert shops possibly get away with the Customs?

Scorpio, I'm afraid the boardmaster would not let me go into details concerning this issue, that's why I'm going to PM you. Please check it out.

Last edited:

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cottonsheep, I cannot find any information on how to keep this species at all! Such as temperature, humidity, substrate, housing size. Please help!

cottonsheep009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SaIiLdVaEnR, do you know one interesting fact on M. martensiis?

It can be in a hibernation state if the temperature has dropped below 10C, there is no significant difference between a hibernant scorpion and a dead one. (Even if you put them on your hand, tickle their bodies, they won't respond)

In case you find the temperature is low and they are "dead", check it out carefully before certifying death! Warm them up slowly and see if they will come back to life.

:}

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's an interesting fact cottonsheep!

I guess that's the same thing that happens to Paruroctonus boreus in winter (the only Canadian scorpion! ;)).

Thanks, Frank

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Holy Crap that is cool, one question though, does that mean that they can survive no matter the temperature, withing reasonable perametres like -10c?

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wish that was true for emperors. My five died while being shipped.

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ooops, sorry, one more question. I am thinking of getting a few of these, somewhere between 2-4, and keeping them in a kritter keeper. What would be the appropriate size and also, how should I heat them because technically I am not allowed to buy anymore, however if I hide them that's a different story:p :p :p . I don't think that a heatlamp is quite subtle, so should I go with a heat mat and what size keeper should I get?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Aidan,

A five gallon should be plenty big for four. If you use a heat mat, put it on the side of the enclosure, not the bottom.

Cheers,
Dave

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that's what I was planning on, putting it on the side if in fact I was going to get one. Thanks Dave.

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm ballparking it but 60gall or more up to 70. You would need a hell of a lot of hides for them.

cottonsheep009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does that mean that they can survive no matter the temperature, withing reasonable perametres like -10c?
As a matter of fact, YES! But although it can survive temperature this low that doesnt mean such a low temperature will cause no permenant damage to them.

In fact, unless an invert can excrete most water out of its body OR has antifreeze peptides/glycopeptides in their blood, they will probably suffer from permanent damage if kept below the freezing temperature. Tenebrio molitor, the yellow mealworm beetle, for example, has antifreeze proteins.

I don't know whether M. m. has antifreeze proteins and this has yet to be proved. But given the temperature of its natural habitats, I suspect it has.

So, as a rule of thumb, never keep your inverts below 1 degree C.