ID this scorpion

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's from Israel. I think I know what it is but I'm not completely sure, so I'd like to read your opinions.

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it looks like Buthacus sp..
possibly Buthacus leptochelys i guess.
beautiful species..

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesnt looks like Buthacus leptochelys imo, Buthacus leptochelys doesnt have keel or was it call granuation line(?) on the carapace, they have a pale triangle mask instead but this is just from my observation, i might be wrong....
Imo the pic above looks like a young Androctonus amoreuxi

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it looks like Buthacus sp..
possibly Buthacus leptochelys i guess.
beautiful species..
Thanks, the scorpion is a juvenile. Maybe about 1'' or 1.25''. I had an adult Buthacus leptochelys nitzani and I don't think they really look alike.

Doesnt looks like Buthacus leptochelys imo, Buthacus leptochelys doesnt have keel or was it call granuation line(?) on the carapace, they have a pale triangle mask instead but this is just from my observation, i might be wrong....
Imo the pic above looks like a young Androctonus amoreuxi
Thanks. That's my guess as well. Androctonus amoreuxi hebraeus. Since it's a young specimen, I'm not sure about it, so I want as many opinions as I can get.

Thank you both!

Anyone else?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is no A.amoreuxi hebraeus. About B.leptochelys nitzani, I doubt that this old subspecies is still valid, but I am not sure.
Anyway, the scorpion in your pic does not belong to those species, but to Buthus, probably Buthus intumescens......if the measurement is correct, it should be around instar 4. I have kept these for a while, that is why I can estimate age a bit.

regards, Michiel

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There ya go, michiel to the rescue! :D
They sure do looks alike, how do you tell the different?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There ya go, michiel to the rescue! :D
They sure do looks alike, how do you tell the different?

No, they don't look that much alike:) But I don't know if I would have known this if I haven't kept B.intumescens....
You can figure out yourself why it isn't Androctonus, that is rather easy.
Look at the shape of the metasomal segments and their (lateral) carinae and keels. Check the lyriform shape on the carapace, the coloration pattern.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the input, now i can see the different and get what you mean :D