Bufo paracnemis Venom

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have heard that the Rococo toad is capable of spraying venom up to 3 feet at an enemy. Is this true?

Also, how dangerous is their venom to humans? Thanks.

Feeding

How much do you reccomend feeding a toad 6-8 inches in width. I have seen pictures of very fat toads and very skinny toads, and im trying to decide how fat a toad should be. Thanks

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i've also heard something like that? but am not sure i think they need to be in a very tramatic or life threating situation for something like that to occur really...

a 6-8" toad will anything smaller than it, or anything it can fit into its mouth they will as much as you feed them usualy, i'd feed it crickets, roaches,mealworms,grasshoppers and maybe pinkies and hoppers(f/t if it will take), i've heard of marine toads eating canned cat food, i don't know how that would work or if its healthy for them, yeah my fisrt choice when buying one if you get to pick it out would be for a nice big fat one of course:), look to see if its active , look under its chin to see if its throat is pulsing quickly thats usualy a good sign, roccoco toads are awesme they get pretty big too, i wonder which gets bigger ? Bufo marinus or Bufo paracnemis? oh yeah if you can see if they will feed it in front of you.

i'm gonna order one of each someday here....

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is generally accepted that Bufo marinus is the bigger of the two, though they are both impressive toads. I don't believe either can actually "shoot" their toxin, but if you squeeze their glands it will excrete out. I suppose, if you ran one over with a car it would spray a couple feet. I've had a paracnemis for years and he has done no such thing. Toads often urinate when startled. That is quite capable of spraying a couple feet if you were holding him up. :)

In humans, the toxin is reported to basically be like a bad acid trip, causing hallucinations and disorientation. To my knowledge it is not considered to be deadly unless you decided to imbibe it in quantity. I can't fathom why anyone would want to ingest an entire adult rococo toad... but I'm sure some dipshit, somewhere, has done it and died. :) Their toxin is especially dangerous to dogs, and I've even heard of large water monitor lizards consuming them and dying.

I feed mine hopper sized mice, crickets, meal worms - pretty much whatever I have laying around. Probably somewhere in the range of 3 hoppers a week and I've had him now for 4 years, so I assume he's doing fairly well. Its actually kind of funny to dangle the mouse and get him to jump up for it.

Rav

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Awesome. I ordered mine, but the batch they came from I checked out and they all appeared to be very healthy. They are all very large so I will probably just feed it large prey at a lower frequency than I would grasshoppers, crickets, etc.

Thanks for the help. I have a little set up for him in a 20 gal. long tank with a large water dish and 5 inches of soil. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You will probably find that a 20 gallon may be more space than he needs. Mine rarely moves around. He finds a comfortable hide area and goes into it and only comes out to eat - then goes right back into it. :)

Make sure he is what they say he is. Rococos are often mislabelled. Easiest way to tell is the toxin glands on the rear legs.

Rav

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd start with a 20 and just judge the activity level. Maybe yours will be more energetic than mine... adjust accordingly. :)

Rav

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats what I figured would be good to start with.

Thanks

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

if you don't mind me asking where did you order it from??

Woody

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my rococo toad loves nightcrawlers. but i also feed it hoppers, pinkies, etc. as a few others have mentioned. anything that moves, it'll show interest in.