M.robustum&peterklaasi observations(RH&Temps)

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
M.robustum

I also recently aquired 2x 4.5" female M.robustum.I have each housed in 5 gallon aquariums.I put down appr 6-7" of substrate(3 parts potting soil/1 part mulch).I put a peice of corkbark(hide) appr. 1/4 of the way away from front of the aquarium and covered with substrate.I also started a burrow under the corkbark.Since then they have borrowed extensively...down and all the way to the back of the tank.They're bulldozers actually...lol..They never venture far from the entrance and are quick to run down the burrow at any disturbances.Left undisturbed though and they spend most the time sitting at the front entrance in plain view.They seem to do well in temps around the high 70's-low 80's(25-28dgrs.C.) with RH values around 75-80%.They're very active and are voracious eaters.

M.peterklaasi

Also to the collection are 2x 3" female M.peterklaasi.I'm housing them as terrestrials with the opportunity to burrow which thus far they seem to have no interest in.Again they're housed in 5 gallon aquariums.They're quite content on top of the substrate(3 parts potting soil/1 part mulch) in plain view or under corkbark shelter.Again with the temps,they seem to do quite well around the high 70-low 80 dgrs(25-28 dgrs.C.) range.I keep their RH values a little higher than the robustum..appr.80-85%.They're also quite active and have big appetites......peace..

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahhh I'm glad to read your report on the M.Robustum.

I've had a large female for along time now, and at the beginning of this week she proceeded to burrow down the side of the tank. Prior to that, no construction had occured, not even in the forms of mild modifcations ot the artifical burrow provided.

Mine doesn't appear 'timid' in the sense of running to cover, infact it doesn't run; it does however go 'stiff' with the rear legs protruding, and as lore surrounding this species suggests, it does wiggle them around, albeit slowly.

Mine hangs around at the water sources frequently, even sitting in the water dish when it is full, though the abdomen isn't submerged.

It will take pre killed food, and appears to feed aggrissvely and isn't afraid to approach nor tackle larger prey items. It's totally different in 'behaviour' to the other Megaphobema species in my posession: a large female velvetosoma

Hmmm my website is being retarded so I can't upload pics.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
M.velvetosoma....nice!One day Ihope to have that species also.I'll be looking forward to some pics once your website quits being retarded...lol...peace..

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:D Yeah I always like reading observations by others, especially if I have the species. I can compare and see if my spider fits similar portrayals etc etc

I was suprised to see mine dig, probably due to the fact of it never digging in six months.

Velvetosoma: My advice based on my spider is don't buy this unless it's relatively cheap. It's one of the few spiders I'm dissapointed with, mainly due to the behaviour and INSANE levels of timidity and 'shyness'. It curls up to hide all the time, and rarely comes out of the nest. It's a hard species to photograph due to the general pose being curled up to the nearest object. Even picking it up for ventral photography results in the 'scrawled'appreance (Gah! Can't upload image due to retarded website)

It's definately the 'shyest' spider in my collection. I wouldn't describe it as docile, despite the fact it's never shown any form of 'aggression'. Definately a "leave me alone!" kind of spider. It's not like the lividum in the sense of when you do see it it has a good display, in regards to both appearance and behaviour.

It is a nice looking spider, just the behaviour of my specimen irritates me for some reason.

Take note on the water requirements of your robustum though, many sites say "90-100%" humidity. My frequents the waterdish, and I see it drink lots.

I'll be sure to include pics when I can!

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
:D Yeah I always like reading observations by others, especially if I have the species. I can compare and see if my spider fits similar portrayals etc etc

I was suprised to see mine dig, probably due to the fact of it never digging in six months.

Velvetosoma: My advice based on my spider is don't buy this unless it's relatively cheap. It's one of the few spiders I'm dissapointed with, mainly due to the behaviour and INSANE levels of timidity and 'shyness'. It curls up to hide all the time, and rarely comes out of the nest. It's a hard species to photograph due to the general pose being curled up to the nearest object. Even picking it up for ventral photography results in the 'scrawled'appreance (Gah! Can't upload image due to retarded website)

It's definately the 'shyest' spider in my collection. I wouldn't describe it as docile, despite the fact it's never shown any form of 'aggression'. Definately a "leave me alone!" kind of spider. It's not like the lividum in the sense of when you do see it it has a good display, in regards to both appearance and behaviour.

It is a nice looking spider, just the behaviour of my specimen irritates me for some reason.

>>WC??.....if it is hopefully some CB will come along and they will have lost the timidness/shy behaviour.it's like my Bouvier...all dog but a chickens**t in all ways..lol...could just be an isolated behaviour??...every spider's has it's own personalitly more or less..

Take note on the water requirements of your robustum though, many sites say "90-100%" humidity. My frequents the waterdish, and I see it drink lots.

>>Thanks for the water tips.I also try to keep substrate moist at all times..especially down in the burrow and a full water dish at all times..

Last edited:

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmm

My Megaphobema velvetosoma is shy also though...
her only defense when scared it trying to kick and thats about it..

not really docile but I can see why the behaivior irritates you Deifiler not really a fun species to look at but very pretty indeed.

my robustum don't burrow but she does spend hella long time on her hide...the humidity is high and so on.

I think M. mesomelas requires moe of a lower temperature than the other specimens.. but I seam to keep most Megaphobema the same way..

M. peterklaasi is the only Megaphobema I need and I can't wait to get a few...not that any one has some right now :(.

either way thanks Pelo for sharing your obserbations.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Pelo. I am planning on getting M robustum and M. mesomelas.

Andy