wow! what a problem

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I was cleaning water dishes today as I do every 4 days and noticed a little bit of mold in my Nhandu's tank. She just molted a few days ago and hated to do it but I gently ushered her into a deli cup with a brush and set to clean the tank. I moved her hide, a flower pot and was amazed to find that an adult female dubia had escaped her and had taken up residence under the hide. Normally this would have gotten no more than a shoulder shrug but then I noticed that she had about 15-20 babies around her! I dug out the substrate and removed {I HOPE } all of them including the female. I cant believe this just happened ! Wow! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep I've had B. lateralis drop an egg case and babies hatched. Most were caught and dispatched by the water bowl but there were a few I had to dispatch myself.

Dubias keep their ooth's with them and inside their body while lateralis drop them and I'm not sure why I didn't notice the female had one hanging off her rump but I"m assuming she dropped it shortly before the T getting the roach. A week or so later I noticed them.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats one of the many reasosn why I don't like roaches.. If you don't pay attention to them they breed like crazy and lay a crap ton of egg cases.. The mold may be from the left over dead body parts..

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats one of the many reasosn why I don't like roaches.. If you don't pay attention to them they breed like crazy and lay a crap ton of egg cases.. The mold may be from the left over dead body parts..
I see no difference between roaches and crickets other than crickets can and do reproduce more quickly, IMHO, and breed like crazy as well.

The mold left over is moot because anything you let lie around in the enclosure without proper cleaning will mold; roach, cricket, beef heart, anything.

It's not valid point IMO.