Calling all experts and breeders

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I'm gonna try to get the sex right on the PZB T's I'll be getting this week, I will be needing some expert opinions on what to look for. So all you experts and breeders tell me if I got this right. Please excuse the crude artwork but I did this in a hurry and I didn't really think that details were necessary.

The first diagram,

Attachments

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, yes I know that the only reliable way is to examine the molted skin but I don't think they will hold it that long and I don't want to wait that long.

and the second diagram

Attachments

KoRn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol im sorry, but I dont know how you can tell by those diagrams if thats a female or male. the things that your looking for arnt there at all..

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do mean they're not there? The red lines represent the forward book lungs and the line in between them represents the Epigastric Furrow. I just want to know if the placement is correct so I know what to look for.

KoRn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
still, the things that you are looking for in male arnt there at all. you cant tell jsut by the shape, like I said, the ( forgot the name, and im not gunna go dig it up ) of the male isnt shown,

KoRn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
check out rick wests site,,, it will explain and show u what ur looking for.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go here Diane

This will show you excellent views of identifying gender from outside ventral view.Complete with pics,diagrams and explanations.We'll be coming to you for gender ID'ing after you read that...lol.....peace..

>>scroll down to near bottom of the page for some excellent pics of both genders

Last edited:

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I think i agree with korn, males have a darker patch above the epigastric furrow from what I have read. And as they said you will see good pictures of this on rick west's site.

peace

TheDon

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you:)

I've read all that but I just want to know if this is what I'll be looking for

Attachments

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You got it!:D.That's the general overall area you'll be looking to for sure...gender's very obvious in most species once they achieve a fair size(2.5"+) but there are still some that are extremely diffcult without examining the inside of the shed....peace..

Last edited:

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ALRIGHTY THEN!!!

Since the PZB I'll be looking at are gonna be a good 4-5 inches, it shouldn't be that difficult to see then? I hope it isn't because if I can't tell (at least be fairly sure) just by visually inspecting the underside I'm getting 'em ALL!
Probly get the Rio Grande and that mystery T that I think is a Braz. of some sort just for the h*ll of it!

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
PZB should be quite easy to sex at that size..Little tip..bring yourself along a hand held magnifying glass.It'll make the job a lot easier...and maybe a small flashlight and small clear delicup to hold/examine the spider.I carry along all of them whenever I go to purchase spiders unless they are already sexed from a reputable dealer/seller...peace..

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip! :D
I'll be bringing a small, clear cup, a flashlight, and my digital camera so I can use the magnification on it to see better.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Diane ;-)

You got the area right. But the epigastric furrow is found in both sexes. What you need to look at is the plate covering the furrow placed right between the anterior pair of booklungs - those closest to the fangs ;-) This plate is covered by hairs. In females the cover and distribution of hairs on this plate is consistently uniform. In juvenile, subadult and adult male specimens on the central posterior rim of this plate - the area just right above the epigastric furrow - there is a not to large area with denser setation, consisting of fusillae - silk glands - not spinnerets. This area appears as a dark spot or crescent shaped area of denser hair distribution, but can be hard to ascertain without proper light in many species.

Go read the content of this page: http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html

Best regards
Søren

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hope this helps some more...

Pictured is a female. The spermatheca shape will vary greatly between genera, as well as species(edit). Some species will have some that are not as obvious as the one in the pic (Specimen of Acanthoscurria geniculata).
Of course, the smaller the specimen, the smaller the spermatheca (if any), so sometimes people might miss the spermatheca and mistake their specimen for a male. Though, if you see nothing the region of the epigastric furrow, then you most likely have a male.
john

Attachments

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
another female...
Sorry, I have no pic of a male's bit's and pieces.
john
Specimen pictured, I think, is Poecilotheria rufilata.

Attachments