San Diego Zoo Pictures

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was at the zoo this weekend and neglected to take my camera. Of course, the reptile house just had to have a new snake on display and I had no camera. I headed back today to take a picture of it. I failed miserably. The snake was coiled up far back into the enclosure. I only snapped one very lousy picture. It is a very cool snake though. It is called a Mang Mountain Viper. Apparently it is a newly described species. The San Diego Zoo is, I believe, the only zoo to display it. I think a zoo in Germany also has them. They are cool as hell. Anyway, I snapped a few other pictures while I was there. Enjoy!

This first picture is the elusive Mang Mountain Viper. I told you the picture was lousy! Through glass at high zoom and back in the corner. No bueno.

Attachments

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Last one I promise! This is the second time I've caught these two in the act. These sulcatas were at it while I was there a few months back.

Attachments

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahaha nice pictures..you are lucky to watch them having sex huh..lol

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
can you still go in the Galapagos enclosure? I remember doing that when we were kids. Of course, that was EONS ago ;)
Great pics!

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Immortal,

No you can't go into the Galapagos enclosure. At least the general public can't. If you are there at feeding time they let you toss fruit to the tortoises. I wish I could have been there when they let you into the enclosures. I'm sure not a good practice nowadays with the threat of possible disease transmission. I've been in an Aldabra tortoise enclosure and that was a thrill.

Manville,

That is the second time I've seen it. Amazing. The male is really vocal too. You can hear him from several yards away.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was there eons ago, and they had a two headed snake.:}

That Rhino Viper is really bitchin. Great pic. GQ.

Ern

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Did you say two headed snake? I don't know if they still have that two headed corn snake, but they have a two headed cal king right now. Here is the picture I took today. Not a great pic so I didn't post it the first time. Thanks for the comments!

Attachments

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
where you able to watch the komodos eat? I lucked out and was there when it was feeding time. the keeper would toss whole rats and the dragons would swallow them whole! I forgot how many rats the dragons ate, but it was easily two or three.
Ed

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No atavuss, I didn't catch them eating this time. Maybe next time. I'll be back. I still have to take a picture of that Mang Mountain Viper.

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
GQ.
brilliant photos i really like that komodo tho=D =D =D =D

john

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks bloke. I spent a good half hour watching him. It was the first time I've caught him so active. An absolutely incredible animal.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Awesome pictures. I love the meerkat and the tortoises having sex. LOL! What, no elephant pics!? If you have any, postem, plz, theyre my favorite animal. Well, on the top.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool pix! The 1st picture is Ermia mangshanensis? Too bad you didnt get a better shot at it.
Not really a new species, they used to be a Trimeresurus species, but changed to the genus Ermia.
Seems to be a zoo worth visiting.

/Lelle

Last edited: