Feeding Help For Mexican Fire Leg Spiderlings?

recordbass

Arachnopeon
I just bought 2 fire leg spiderlings a little over a week ago and I have been trying to feed them small crickets but they don't seem to be eating them we have cut there heads off and I have left there heads on and nothing they have not ate in like 2 weeks could someone help me please .....

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how big are your B. boehmei s(pider)lings? and how big are the crickets?

i personally haven't had any problems feeding comparatively sized crickets (and sometimes larger) to Brachypelma sp. slings, but these might be good factors to know anyway.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
It's more than likely that they just aren't hungry, and/or possibly pre molt. Two weeks really isn't that long for a spider to go without food.

Just keep offering food on a weekly basis, and remove it after 24 hrs, if they don't eat it. For small slings, pre killing is a good way to go, if in doubt about the feeder size. Although none of my Brachys have ever had an issue taking down live prey.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A little over a week isn't long to get settled into a new enclosure either, so that may be playing a part as well.

recordbass

Arachnopeon
thank you for the 411 im hopping thay will eat soon how long will it take for them to get as big as a quarter thay r about the size of a pinky nail now

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
thank you for the 411 im hopping thay will eat soon how long will it take for them to get as big as a quarter thay r about the size of a pinky nail now

Not sure about this species, but PROBOBLY about 2-3 more molts. Most slings molt every month- month and a half depending on temps and whatnot.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
I have a B. emilia and I'm not sure if this goes for all Brachypelma(sp), but mine is a very slow eater. It's at 2 inches. I've had it for 2 months and its only eaten twice. I've been told they are slow growers, but live a long time. I'm new to the hobby so take that lightly. Good luck.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i bought some P. crassipes .5 inch slings and fed them 5 days later and they ate well. I guess it depends on the species and the individual attitudes. They will eat when they are hungry. i was worried when i first got the slings they wouldnt eat but they proved me wrong.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There isn't a way to answer that question(though punctuations would be a nice addition to your posts, so we knew it was a question. ;) ) because growth depends on too many variables, temps and how often/ much it is fed being the main ones.

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
Not sure why your slings aren't eating, but as already mentioned I don't think it's that big of a deal yet.

I am currently raising a Mexican Fireleg (B. Boehmei) sling as well. Mine ate about a week after I got it. I've had it probably about two months now, and it eats very well - about 2-3 prey items per week. When I purchased it, it was also about pinky nail size. It has molted once, and is now on it's way to be about to the size of a thumb nail after the next molt (which looks like it will be soon). People say all brachy's grow slow, but I am very happy with the growth rate of mine. It loves tiny crix, but also the occasional small mealworm. Perhaps you could see if another type of prey item could coax yours to eat.

I have a temp gradient established in the smallest size critter keeper they make (still a giant enclosure for a sling, and need to tape over some of the lid holes to prevent escape) using an undertank heater made for hermit crabs. As checked with a temp probe, it has the option of finding temps from 72 to 85 degrees. This sling likes it warm, and has set up residence in the 85 degree area. I keep humidity around 50%. Maybe that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This species is a slow grower and a light eater what are you keeping them in. I kept mine in pill type bottles which makes it easier for them to find food. I have never had to feed prekilled if you have appropriate size crickets. Never leave live food items in the cage incase of impending molt.