Think I need to switch dog foods.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We have been feeding our dachshund(Chloe) Nutro natural choice small breed dog food for a while now.

But we have noticed slight hair loss. mainly behind the ears, the neck and chest area.

When we got her she never had much hair on her neck(the front side) so we figured it was normal. She checks out at the vet and everything.

but recently I have noticed it getting worse.

Now I wont skimp when it comes to our dog. but I dont want a raw diet. I was leaning towards "Orijen" brand.

But the thing is I cant find it locally. and I would like to see the kibble pieces first hand. Chloe is a miniature dachshund, and she defiantly prefers smaller pieces.

Orijen offers a "adult" which i fear might be too big for her.

Large breed puppy-which isnt for her at all

and a puppy...which she isnt anymore.

any advice?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/nutro-natural-choice-dog-food-dry/ is what you're feeding.. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/orijen-dog-food-adult/ is Orijen.

I don't know what the recent craze with Orijen is, but there are other foods that are just as good.. such as Blue Buffalo.

Personally, I think Nutro is crap. The second ingredient is rice, and it only gets worse from there. The hair loss you're describing sounds exactly like a grain allergy, which are known to worsen as the dog ages.

I don't know what shape the Nutro kibbles are, but Orijen are flat and round and would be easy for a smaller dog to chew.. unlike the "chunk" kibbles of some other brands.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally I love Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo (not the absolute greatest, will do in a snap), Chicken Soup for the Dog's Soul, Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, and there's one more, just cant remember the name, lol.

Most of these are brands you'll have to look to find. Although, surprisingly, Tracor Supply carries Taste of the Wild.

But I agree that is sounds like a food allergy. Go for a product with meat (meat, not meal or byproduct) in the first 5 ingrediants and no corn. Brown rice is usually the grain of choice for the leser quality, of the higher quality stuff. Grain free is best, but the price isn't always doable.

Wanted to add, my dog's skin and hair greatly improved with food that has more real meat and less grain. Recently my mom took care of him for a while. She ran out of his stuff and bought a bag of stuff at walmart. He went right back to itchy skin, which goes away on the good stuff :)

Last edited:

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use NATURES RECIPE for my 3 Pit Bulls and dont have a problem. Our Female as health problems and this stuff doesnt bother her.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hair loss can have many causes in dogs and while diet is often a big player, it is a good idea to look into all possible causes as hair loss can be a subtle sign of any number of more serious underlying medical conditions. Improving the dog's diet won't harm either way, but if the hair loss persists or is associated with itching, redness, swelling, changes in behavior, decreased energy level, sudden changes in body condition, etc. please get some bloodwork done.

Also: while there is a somewhat sensationalized anti-grain movement in pet foods right now, the most common food allergies in companion animals are the protein source; this is something verified by scientific research. There are many merits to feeding a grain free (or at least wheat/corn/soy free) diet and grains ARE a common allergen as well, but if you're looking for a low-allergen diet, don't think of grain alone. Avoid foods with chicken or beef as their primary source of protein, and avoid foods with dairy. Fish and lamb were once staples for dogs with food allergies, but there is starting to be an emergence of allergies to these items as well due to their increased commonality as ingredients. Alternative proteins like duck, venison, bison, etc. are less likely sources of allergy.

Many "limited ingredients" diets out there address both grain and protein allergies. I know that Blue Buffalo, Wellness, and a few other "premium" brands make diets such as these, so they may be worth investigating.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I use Orijen for my cats (different, I know), and they really really like it. It's doing very well for them. I don't know about the dog kibbles, but the cat ones aren't very big. They almost always have trial bags where they sell the food. I think it's about a 1 lb bag for $2.50, so it wouldn't cost you much to try. I've tried Evo and other grain-free dry foods, but that's by far my and their favorite.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone.

I found a place locally that carries a number of great dog food brands.

here is a list of what they carry.

http://www.allaboutmydogsandcats.com/Dog___Cat_Food_Brands.html

She isnt loosing patches of hair. she is just....hairless in spots. Ill get a pic up.

its mainly in spots like the front of her neck, and chest. and a little behind her ears.

I am going to try the orijen. it isnt that expensive, and hopefully she will like it.

The orijen brand is 34 bucks for 15 pounds...which is actually cheaper that what we feed her now.

we have been paying 14 bucks for 5 pounds. :eek:

When I do switch her over, how long can I expect to see results, if any?

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JJB,
Sojo's will compliment your raw meat quite nicely.

Wade