Second hand sting information

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
While I am not the one who was stung by a scorpion, I would still like to post the results. My mother was stung receintely by a common desert scorpion (I nor my Mom know what kind, all I know is that they are common to Roswell, New Mexico where she lives). The only information she could give me as to the physical appearence of the scorp was that it was brown and had a "bulbous" tail. My Mom is allergic to insect bites and stings, so this sting really worried her. She usually uses Meat Tenderizor mixed with just enough water to make a paste to "extract" the venom from various stings and bites but she did not have any at the time. She used a small amout of red cider vinigar (not diluted) to soak her finger in. When she received the sting, she said it hurt very bad, burned intensely, turned beet red and swelled immeditally twice the normal size of her finger. After only a few minutes of soaking her finger in the vinigar, she said the pain stopped, the swelling went down and the redness went away. She suffered no ill effects from the sting and did not have to go to the Emergency Room for treatment like she has had to do in the past. I don't know that these "remidies" would work for everyone, but she personally swears by them as they have saved her many trips to the ER especially given the fact that she is allergic.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Just one question here maybe two
your Mom is allergic..? right???
Then living in the state that she is in , does she have kit for bites as most people diagnosed by a doctor as to being allergic to such insect bites have?? If so why not use it .
Nothing against 'home' remedies here [or your Mom , I am sure she is a fine lady] but there is too much here to risk on a 'home' remedie.
people react To bites in varying degrees and being allergic to one thing doesn't necessarilly mean you are to everything but why risk it:?