Questions from a new T owner

BrandonM

Arachnopeon
Hey Guys,
I just got 2 Tarantulas for a present about 3 days ago.
These were a complete surprise so i had nothing to cage them in. So, I ended up housing my A. Avicularia in a old 5 gallon tank turned on it's side, and i housed the G. Rosea in a mid-sized critter keeper. in my A.Avicularia enclosure i had to tape in the back of a dvd case to keep the eco earth and a pet store tree branch in, and had to tape up a whole in the lid that i am using as a door,and have been trying to keep the humidity in the 75-90 range; then with the G.Rosea i just put a hide(half of an old piece of tuperware) and a bottle cap with water in the critter keeper.

will this be fine for now?
oh, and can you leave some recommendations for tanks to upgrade them too?

P.S. The A.Avicularia is about 2.5" and the G.Rosea is about 3".

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Hey Guys,
I just got 2 Tarantulas for a present about 3 days ago.
These were a complete surprise so i had nothing to cage them in. So, I ended up housing my A. Avicularia in a old 5 gallon tank turned on it's side, and i housed the G. Rosea in a mid-sized critter keeper. in my A.Avicularia enclosure i had to tape in the back of a dvd case to keep the eco earth and a pet store tree branch in, and had to tape up a whole in the lid that i am using as a door,and have been trying to keep the humidity in the 75-90 range; then with the G.Rosea i just put a hide(half of an old piece of tuperware) and a bottle cap with water in the critter keeper.

will this be fine for now?
oh, and can you leave some recommendations for tanks to upgrade them too?

P.S. The A.Avicularia is about 2.5" and the G.Rosea is about 3".
Sounds to me like you're certainly on the right track. Just make sure that your A. avic stays secure - - not sure I'd trust a taped in CD case for very long. Size wise the 5 gallon is a nice final home even if it's slightly big for the A. avic now. Might just do a temporary sterlite home while you put a permanent cover of some sort on the tank.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The 5 gallon turned on its side sounds just fine as a permanent enclosure, except for a water dish, the door and retaining wall. The easiest/ nicest way to fix that is to go to the hardware store and buy yourself a piece of plexi-glass. Some places will cut it to your measurements and some won't. You can cut it yourself too, but you will need a special knife to do so. It can be tricky on the thinner plexi, so I don't recommend 1/8" even though it is the cheapest normally. Your retaining wall only needs to be about 2-2 1/2". Then pick yourself some hinges and decide which kind of latching mechanism you want to use. We use clear packing tape on each side of the door, simple and cheap, but there are other ways that look nicer. It might take you an afternoon to get it done, but it will definitely be better than a CD case. ;)

I figure that you probably do have a water dish in this enclosure, but if you don't you should.

As far as the KK for the G. rosea I don't use KK, so am unsure how big that one is. Many people keep them in KK, so if it is the correct size, then that one is good as well.