centipedes in NY city

Merit

Arachnopeon
Hi!! I'm italian but now I'll live in NY city for 2 months. Can someone suggest me a great pet store where i can find a little centipede ( i can't live without it !!)??
Bye and thank you.
Gian Paolo

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you go to the reptile expo at White Plains, NY you can find lots of cool centipedes. The next one is in April I think.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Merit
Hi!! I'm italian but now I'll live in NY city for 2 months. Can someone suggest me a great pet store where i can find a little centipede ( i can't live without it !!)??
Bye and thank you.
Gian Paolo
Gian Paolo,

How are you enjoying NY? Any luck finding a pede?

Peace,

Paul

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYC has some sort of exotic pets ban that apparently includes everything from cockroaches to elephants. I assume centipedes fall in there somewhere, so you'd have to leave the city to find them for sale. From what I've heard, the White Plains show Navaros mentioned is great for invertebrates.

Wade

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Originally posted by Wade
NYC has some sort of exotic pets ban that apparently includes everything from cockroaches to elephants. I assume centipedes fall in there somewhere, so you'd have to leave the city to find them for sale. From what I've heard, the White Plains show Navaros mentioned is great for invertebrates.

Wade
I can second that. We live in Long Island and there is no ban here, but that is because we are outside of the city limits as Wase has said. There are lots of goodies at the White Plains show. Let us know where you will be staying and we can be more specific in what you will be allowed to have. :D

Regards,

Debby

Merit

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot!
No, no any lucky finding pedes. i visited a lots of shops, but i've found only amphibians and reptiles! No invertebrates!:mad:
The next show will be in April but i'll leave in February. That's a problem...
I'm living in Manhattan and i think that's impossible that it doesn't exist any insect dealer in this island.
I'm searching for any type of Cingulata or for some Hemiscolopendra Marginata (from Florida, in Italy it's impossible to find it) but i think that it will be very very hard....
:(
Bye
Gian Paolo

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Got a credit card? There's always mail order!

Not many dealers sell H. marginata, not because they're rare, but there's not much hobbyist interest here. They're actually native to my area (central VA is the northern end of their range). Glades Herp ( www.gherp.com ) often sells them pretty cheap, like $10.

Wade

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Merit
Thanks a lot!
No, no any lucky finding pedes. i visited a lots of shops, but i've found only amphibians and reptiles! No invertebrates!:mad:
The next show will be in April but i'll leave in February. That's a problem...
I'm living in Manhattan and i think that's impossible that it doesn't exist any insect dealer in this island.
I'm searching for any type of Cingulata or for some Hemiscolopendra Marginata (from Florida, in Italy it's impossible to find it) but i think that it will be very very hard....
:(
Bye
Gian Paolo
Gian,
You'll never find a dealer in the city. Tarantulas and centipede's are illegal and no petstores ever carry them. The law is enforced and large fines are given to anyone who is found with illegal animals. The animals will also be confiscated. This ban includes all boids (from the large anconda to the dwarf spotted python), varanids, and pretty much any other cool reptiles you could think of. It also includes exotic mammals. It's sucks and its ashamed that they didn't just ban the dangerous animals. Blanket laws like that show that peoples fear keep them thinking rationally. I'd just go to an out of state dealer (most have websites or phone numbers advertised) and have it shipped. Good luck on your search and enjoy New York.
Mike

Last edited:

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lasiodora
Gian,
You'll never find a dealer in the city. Tarantulas and centipede's are illegal and no petstores ever carry them. The law is enforced and large fines are given to anyone who is found with illegal animals. The animals will also be confiscated. This ban includes all boids (from the large anconda to the dwarf spotted python), varanids, and pretty much any other cool reptiles you could think of. It also includes exotic mammals. It's sucks and its ashamed that they didn't just ban the dangerous animals. Blanket laws like that show that peoples fear keep them thinking rationally. I'd just go to an out of state dealer (most have websites or phone numbers advertised) and have it shipped. Good luck on your search and enjoy New York.
Mike
9-11 changed NYC forever. NYC will always be the #1 target for terrorists. The law reflects the real possibility of animals escaping beyond their keepers control. The terrorists succeeded in taking away some of our freedoms...but not without a fight.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
9-11 changed NYC forever. NYC will always be the #1 target for terrorists. The law reflects the real possibility of animals escaping beyond their keepers control. The terrorists succeeded in taking away some of our freedoms...but not without a fight.
The law was in place before 9/11 and it does not reflect a possibility of escape. In the eight years that I have kept reps and T's there has never been an escape. I know a lot of people who can say the same. The ban reflects the fact that people easily pass judgement on things they don't understand. They did no type of research on any of the reptiles or archnids they banned. Why not ban dogs? There are more escapes and dog bites reported every year than any other pet kept (let's not forget deaths related to dog attacks).
Mike