poecilotheria sex question

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I have bought 2 p. regalis and 1 p. rufilata I bought all of them at the 1.5-2" range. two of the regalis and the rufilata are male, and the other regalis I havent sexed yet. so I was wondering if males are just more common in this species or if I jsut have bad luck. so if you have any poecilotheria please tell me where you got it, at what size and what sex it turned out to be.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I think you just had a run of bad luck. Out of the older pokes that I have had since slings, I wound up with 4 females and 2 males, all different species. I've never had a sac to raise the entire thing and work out a ratio though. I don't think it's any higher males to females though, just the luck of the draw....

Scott

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh yeah and another question I'll just throw out here is who all has adult of sub adult female regalis's and rufilata's that way I can work a loan out in advance

Yoshi11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
ok I have bought 2 p. regalis and 1 p. rufilata I bought all of them at the 1.5-2" range. two of the regalis and the rufilata are male, and the other regalis I havent sexed yet. so I was wondering if males are just more common in this species or if I jsut have bad luck. so if you have any poecilotheria please tell me where you got it, at what size and what sex it turned out to be.
You know what John I've had the same problem you do. It seems like whenever I buy an unsexed Pokey bigger than 1 1/2" they all seem too turn out male. The only female Pokeys I got was when I bought them at 1/2"-1". I've bought 10 Pokeys and 8 turned out to be male. Also you should try getting a pocket microscope(60x-100x) at Radio Shack and get familiar with the males fusillae so that you can sex them w/o an exuvia(molt). With this method, and a pretty good micro., you can sex T's when they're fairly small with a high success rate...given that you've done your homework. This is what I do now whenever I go to buy T's. Just a thought:) .

Best of Luck,
Wharreong;)

P.S.
What I've stated above is not suggesting any wrong doing by any one dealer or hobbyist.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my theory is that, since males tend to grow faster than females. maybe its just that they reach the 1.5-2 inch mark faster than the females and maybe I just got mine out of a group of males that grew a little faster and got sold first. who knows I think I'll jsut save up my money and get a sexed female.