Apophysis vs. Blondi

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
My fave is T.blondi, mainly due to mine being a much "sweeter" T and doesn't kick much and allows some handling without freaking out. Plus I like thier bulkier looks... My T.apophysis freaks out over feeding and threatens the stream of water that fills his dish.

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats interesting, I wasn't aware that there was much of a difference as far as temperment goes. I did know however, that apophysis has worse eradicating hairs. So that kinda sucks. I think the pinkfoots are so much prettier though

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I prefer T.apophysis to look at, though a freshly moulted blondi is a handsome thing.
It's just a shame I can't keep either.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I don't have T blondi, only T apophysis...
And since I just got it yesterday, I can't really compare!
However, even at 2" or so, it does seem a bit freaky.... very fast and nervous...

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spiral_Stairs
I did know however, that apophysis has worse eradicating hairs.
wow, that's interesting stuff, but I think it's urticating hairs;)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I definately prefer blondi. Stockier, hardier (in my experience), and calmer. My blondi doesn't even kick hairs. :)

-Bryan

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have kept both species for years and have several specimens of each ranging in size from 3rd instar to about 9". I have not seen any difference in hardiness or much difference in behavior. I have some T. apophysis that are persistent hair-kickers and some that are not. The same can be said for T. blondi. I do however, seem to have a more pronounced reaction to T. apophysis urticating bristles.

As for looks, with large immatures and females you can take your pick. These are all basically varying shades of brown. Some recently molted T. apophysis can show a hint of irridescence under very bright light such as a camera flash. They also appear to be more leggy and lanky than the bulkier T. blondi. Still, I am confident that the average person would not be able to distinguish between large females at a glance. The males are another matter. Mature male T. apophysis can be stunning. They develop purplish highlights on the femurs and carapace that male T. blondi (while attractive in their own right) can't match.