need ID!! mud creature

casparian82

Arachnopeon
found this near the salt river under rocks in a muddy area. but have no idea what it is. it looks kinda like a centipede but im pretty sure its not as its got 6 front legs. and a bunch of what look like legs but are just spikes down the rest of its body. it may have a stinger of some sort too but idk for sure. any help is appreciated. i would also like to know how to take care of it if anyone knows

Attachments

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
idk. i don't think so. unless its gunna get smaller. cuz this thing is pretty big and. much thicker than a dragonfly. and completely different shaped head
I agree that it resembles a dragonfly LARVAE of some kind....the size of a larval stage does not always correlate linear with the adult stage......meaning that larvae can be bigger than the adult stage animal.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is not a dragon fly larvae or damsel fly larvae. It looks similar to a beetle larvae of some sort, those spikey appendages are most probably gills. Maybe some sort of stone/may/caddis fly related thing?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
100% dobsonfly larva aka hellgrammite. Awesome find.

When in water you'll see feathery gills show up on those "spikes" on the abdomen.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always found them in flowing water under rocks. I kept a few but I never did see them eat anything, anybody here see them eat something?, I'd like to see some info on that. I know what they "might" eat but what has anybody seen them eat with their own eyes.