sling setup advice needed

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to try my hand at a few 1"-2" slings (all med/high humidity species that get large, and all but one are fast-growing), and am toying with a couple of setup ideas. Heating is the main concern. I'd rather not use deli cups since I want to "display" them, and give them a little room to grow before I have to up-size their setups. I'd like to use either small KK's or med KK's (4 or 5 gal) with a thin plexiglass divider, then fashion a plexiglass lid with some small airholes on one end. This will solve the humidity issue, but I haven't thought of a great way to heat them yet (the room they're in gets down to mid 60s during winter nights). I could maybe put the KK inside one of my warm, humid 10 gals, but they all have critters in them already and I don't want to take away from the surface area of the 10 gal or have to dig into two cages to get to the slings. I also thought of putting a stick-on heat pad in the rear center of a med KK with a divider, or two small KKs right next to each other and a heat pad in the back/middle, but that seems shaky. I'm going to look at space heaters, but hate the idea of that from a safety standpoint. I'll probably try the med KK w/divider and heat pad unless someone has a better suggestion.

Also, does a 1"-2" T need a small water dish (even a lid from a gal of milk)? At what point would you add one?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do u have a comic book store by u cuz i got these awesome sling containers there they are card holders that are clear. u can see their every movement and they are pretty cheap. stop by one and check it out

mike

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We keep all of our 1-2" slings in pill vials. Unless they web it up it is very easy to see in, and you can add as many air holes to the lid as you want. I don't have any waterdishes in with mine, although the vials get misted a cpl. times a week. We dont' have to worry about heat, although at our old place we did use a heating pad to warm up one of the tanks. Good luck with them!

Kristen

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the suggestions. Mike, that looks like a good setup. What roughly are the dimensions of those boxes? The only thing I would need to figure out then is how to heat them. If I can make a good plexiglass divider and lid, I'm inclined to use a 4 gal KK since I can put a small stick-on heater in the back center. But I will definitely look for some of those card holders.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i just put them on my bigger ts cage
so they get heat from that
i don't know the dimensions but ill find out now