Help with my mexican red knee

ml69

Arachnopeon
Hi, I decided to join this forum as I needed some help. I got my mexican red knee. I had her for about 2 weeks. But it has not eaten since then. i tried feeding it mealworms. In addition it seems to climb the glass wall of the tank and drops alot. I m afraid it will injure itself. should i perhaps switch from mealworms to like frogs or cricket? And my mexican red knee never hides. Is it normal?

Attachments

Lor&Chris

Arachnopeon
The climbing could be from the substrate being to moist, my B. smithi hates moist substrate. If your worried about injury you could add more substrate so there isnt as far of a fall. As for the not eating it may be in premolt, may not be hungry, or it may be a picky eater try a cricket. Also my B.smithi is usually not hiding in its hide.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You need to add a LOT more substrate.

You see your spiders bottom leg in that pic? You need to add substrate all the way up to that point and then a little more. Also take out the extra water dish. One will be fine.

The reason it could be climbing is if the substrate is too moist.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
Like eveyone else said..... More substrate is a MUST....... for burrowing and less height. My REd Knee loves to burrow. Also I would take out one water dish and one hide. One of each is plenty. Also, My red knee likes it dry. I just usually overflow the water dish, and the rest stays dry.

I would NOT recommend feeding your T frogs! It looks plenty big enough for superworms and Dubia Roaches.......

Last edited:

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Like stated above you need lots more substrate and it needs to be bone dry. I've never seen a T hate humidity more than my smithi's. So bone dry substrate and a lot more of it. Big water bowl and mist once to twice every 2 weeks. Try crickets not a fan of vertebrates and it should be fine.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not only will having a chance to burrow reduce stress, which should result in feeding again, but you'll also prevent falls which will kill your pet. If you place a styrofoam block in the center of the cage, the tarantula will burrow nearer the glass, and you'll still be able to see it from time to time.

ml69

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help everyone. I will top up the substrate. Regarding the feeding of my tarantula with frogs; I don't mean those big frogs but those tiny ones instead. Do you guys think its OK?

Sidi

Arachnopeon
From what I've read here, (I'm no pro) but most people seem to be against feed wild caught animals and I'm guessing your not breeding frogs in sufficient quantities?

Also, frogs are great animals, I would hate to kill one just to feed a T, would make me feel guilty, but yeah, roaches and crickets I have no issue sacrificing.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the help everyone. I will top up the substrate. Regarding the feeding of my tarantula with frogs; I don't mean those big frogs but those tiny ones instead. Do you guys think its OK?
Short Answer: No.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The more-substrate remedy is absolutely right, but in my opinion you should downsize the enclosure - it's WAY too big for a T that size - read up on any thread regarding this subject and you'll find that the experts agree: a T's enclosure should be small enough that the T isn't overwhelmed, and made to feel insecure, by too much wide open space, where predators may lurk.

Put your baby in a smaller enclosure and save this one for a later day - he'll grow into it! ;)

ml69

Arachnopeon
The more-substrate remedy is absolutely right, but in my opinion you should downsize the enclosure - it's WAY too big for a T that size - read up on any thread regarding this subject and you'll find that the experts agree: a T's enclosure should be small enough that the T isn't overwhelmed, and made to feel insecure, by too much wide open space, where predators may lurk.

Put your baby in a smaller enclosure and save this one for a later day - he'll grow into it! ;)
Thank you killy. Yes I will buy more substrate for it. There is another question i would like to ask. Is it normal for my B. Smithi to web the enclosure? I read that they seldom do.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is another question i would like to ask. Is it normal for my B. Smithi to web the enclosure? I read that they seldom do.
Perfectly normal. Your spider will lay down webbing to construct feeding or molting mats and leave "drag" lines behind as it wanders around the enclosure. With a B. smithi you're not likely to get masses of webbing as you would with some other species but you will certainly see some.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That tank is not too big for your spider as long as you get the correct amount of substrate.

phily1579

Arachnopeon
I agree with Killy! A red knee is a tererstrial species. The encl9ser should have the width n not the height. If ur t falls from that height. No dought it will have dyer consiquences. The encloser u got it in is perfect for an arboreal, not terrestrial. I would take her out of there or add alot more subtrate to it. :) happy ting.:)

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I agree with Killy! A red knee is a tererstrial species. The encl9ser should have the width n not the height. If ur t falls from that height. No dought it will have dyer consiquences. The encloser u got it in is perfect for an arboreal, not terrestrial. I would take her out of there or add alot more subtrate to it. :) happy ting.:)

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The climbing is typical behaviour of when the tarantula finds the substrate too moist, the other poster hit this dead on.

Dry that out with a hairdryer or something similar.

Remember barely moist not wet.

jaydenjayden

Arachnopeon
hi ml69. im jayden. really interested in getting a new T.
how u manage to get one into sgp? i wan 1 desperately.
i tink is better to chat thru email.
hope to hear frm u man.