Tityus bastosi

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
My baby T. bastosi are doing really well. They had not been eating for a while and I was getting a little worried. However, one ate today. Interesting story: The cricket, which was about twice the size of the scorpion, ran across the scorpion, who jumped in the air and flipped over in a desperate attempt to catch it. The cricket, however, escaped out of its grasp. To catch it again, the T. bastosi leaped clear in the air. It was amazing.:D

Both are doing very well, along with my R. junceus. One of the T. bastosi is plump, which is a good thing because they were not eating that much in the beginning. He almost looks like he will molt soon, never know for certain when it is going to happen. It should be soon. I am looking to add to my collection with more species of Tityus.

Just wanted to give a little "update".:D;)

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to let you know, the rest of the batch that yours came from have all molted to 3i now. I'm happy to hear they're doing well. They're voracious eaters.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
In fact, I was right. One molted today into 3rd instar.:D I was anxious whether it would make it, since I have never had scorpions molt in my care and have only kept adult specimens. I was worried because I had not misted in about three days because I was worried about mold problems. I'm so excited. Never seen a molt in real life, both the exoskeleton and the scorpion are bright and clear, absolutely beautiful.:D

Quixtar, did you keep some of the brood to continue to breed? That would be awesome if you did. I really want to expand the hobby, and, if I get any more from you, will try to breed them as well. Ah, but that won't be for awhile. Got to be patient and enjoy them!:D;):D

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Will try to post some pictures, though don't get too excited yet.;):D

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Tityus Spp. Rock :)

Post some photos when u can!

Would love to add T.bastosi to my collection!

Any Canadians got this species breeding yet?!

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Tityus Spp. Rock :)

Post some photos when u can!

Would love to add T.bastosi to my collection!

Any Canadians got this species breeding yet?!
Hah, funny, I want to add T. magnimanus to my collection.;):D

The scorpion that molted into third instar is doing very well. I put the molt in a little container as a souvenir, my first scorpion molt!

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In fact, I was right. One molted today into 3rd instar.:D I was anxious whether it would make it, since I have never had scorpions molt in my care and have only kept adult specimens. I was worried because I had not misted in about three days because I was worried about mold problems. I'm so excited. Never seen a molt in real life, both the exoskeleton and the scorpion are bright and clear, absolutely beautiful.:D

Quixtar, did you keep some of the brood to continue to breed? That would be awesome if you did. I really want to expand the hobby, and, if I get any more from you, will try to breed them as well. Ah, but that won't be for awhile. Got to be patient and enjoy them!:D;):D

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Will try to post some pictures, though don't get too excited yet.;):D
Yes I kept a good amount. I'm trying to get my silvestris to breed but the last few broods have been unsuccessful and my adults are starting to drop like flies... must be old age.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Yes I kept a good amount. I'm trying to get my silvestris to breed but the last few broods have been unsuccessful and my adults are starting to drop like flies... must be old age.
Too bad about the T. silvestris, I have been interested in adding that to my collection as well. Want to add more to the T. bastosi some time too. Good you kept some to continue to breed! We need that!;):D

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Just some help, a little piece of advice

I keep both in small deli containers used for shipping (don't worry, they are extremely small). They seem to enjoy thier containers. There seem to be no problems.

My only question is, how much should I mist them? Should I re-moisten the substrate if it dries out? For a while it was damp, but it sometimes seemed too damp. Thanks for helping.;):D

On a side note, looking to breed them when they get older, and even though that won't be for at least a year and I only have two, I will definitely try. My favorite genus is Tityus. I'm so excited.;);):D:D

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I figure I'll chime in and share some of my experience with 2 generations of Tityus bastosi. The 4th and 5th instar seem to be somewhat problematic when it comes to molting. You can have multiple scorpions under the identical conditions and have some that get stuck in their molt and some that do not. The males will mature at 5i-6i, females seem to always mature at 6i. These little dudes are amongst the fastest growing scorpions I've ever dealt with reaching maturity at around as little as 6 months. My female gave birth to 11 scorplings on 9/29/2010 and they were maturing in early march. They seem to be way less tolerant to drops in humidity and need a bit more soil saturation than any other species I've ever dealt with. I'd say mist lightly every 2-3 days to keep them from becoming dehydrated because they seem to dehydrate really easy, especially during gestation and will not hesitate to absorb the developing embryos if not properly hydrated. They are definitely a fun little challenge. Here's part of my full captive born and raised generation (generation 2) "notice they are a lot lighter in color than their wc predecessors:

If anyone wants any questions answered about the species, shoot me a pm and I'll try to help in any way I can as I would really like to see this species established in the states. I hope I could answer most of your questions. Besides, It would be no fun If I were the only one with an army of this species:}

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
beautiful scorpions .
i also wish i could get some.