have you been stung?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have any of you been stung by a scorp? if so what species and what effects did it have?

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Da illest,
I think quite a few Scorpion keepers have been stung, myself included.It kinda goeswith the hobby!
You can check out the sting reports forum for peoples discriptions on pain, swelling etc.

STING REPORTS

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, by an emperor named Anubis, it hurt at first, I was more startled by it as he was on my hand and snagged my thumb. After 15 mins I couldn't even tell where he had hit me on my thumb as the pain was 100% gone.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been stung by my emperor scorp.! I hardly felt anything!:p Now people can put the myth that the emperor scorps' stings really hurt aside!

"You gave away your life's grace! I can no longer protect you!"

"It is time! Give him the sword of king!"

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was stung by an emperor scorpion. It just hurt. It wasn't that bad.:D

From
Eric

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Richard_uk
Hi Da illest,
I think quite a few Scorpion keepers have been stung, myself included.It kinda goeswith the hobby !
EdIt .. No OFFeNSe , But Ive never been Stung or Bitten by ANY of my Inverts .. A careful owner avoids the sting or bite . Lets face facts here .. a NORMAL sting can kill a person if that person has an allergy ! I say Inverts are the Look and See type of pet .. I have handled my Inverts but do so as little as possible. Its best to let the Invert do his thing with the least amount of handling as possible , besides stress to the animal you always take that 1 chance .....

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know where I stand on this. On one hand I realize there is a theoretical danger, but the reports of severe reactions to scorpion stings really are restricted to the ones we usualy consider medically significant. While emp stings can be more severe than people think, it is still a case of pain/stiffness etc. rather than systemic effects. I've never been stung myself, but I have done some not-so-cautious things in my time. They key is probably to be informed in your behaviour and responsible in the reporting of the concequences.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Dave,
I still wouldn't try 'that'^ with those babies I have. ;)

John
];')

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Frostbyte
EdIt .. No OFFeNSe, But Ive never been Stung or Bitten by ANY of my Inverts .. A careful owner avoids the sting or bite . Lets face facts here .. a NORMAL sting can kill a person if that person has an allergy ! I say Inverts are the Look and See type of pet .. I have handled my Inverts but do so as little as possible. Its best to let the Invert do his thing with the least amount of handling as possible , besides stress to the animal you always take that 1 chance .....
None taken! :D

I completely 199% agree with what you are saying. I think the danger posed by stings from even 'harmless' species is greatly ignored. I have only been stung by P. cavimanus and that was during a routine cleaning procedure. I lost my guard for a couple of seconds and got nailed.
Unfortunatley, we live in a world where people do like to see and touch. I personaly don't think there is a keeper on here, including you (no offense!! :) ) who hasnt at some point had a 'hands on' session with there 'pets'. I used to do a lot of handling when I started out, but now my collection has grown I am happy to take a back seat and be contended watching them going about there everyday lives.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Healthy adults shouldn't have problem with scorpions, especially the empror scorp's. There are few species of scorp's that are potentially dangerous, but even those usually won't kill if you are healthy and not allergic, rather it's very painful. People rarely die from the black widow venome itself, but very few people die from complecation rather from the venom. The doctor will tell the person if they can witstand the pain that they should instead of taking black widow anti-venom, and most people recover after very painful ordeal.

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Richard_uk
None taken! :D

I I personaly don't think there is a keeper on here, including you (no offense!! :) ) who hasnt at some point had a 'hands on' session with there 'pets'.
Right you are , and I guess my acting like a blabbering " Im a better than you are acting type of person " doesnt make things that much better . I have handled an Emperor , and a few smaller species . But what I was really leaning towards was the hotter species and pointing out that Emps can be hot to a person that doesnt handle bee stings well ... I likewise have dont the Touchy Feely thing in a long time . I guess after youve had them awhile you dont get into that as much ;P