Alternative Avic Housing 101

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Since the subject keeps coming up every few weeks or so about "What do you keep your T's in?" etc. I decided to post pics of my newest creation, put together for about $1.50 - the container was $1, I figured the bits of plastic, silk plant and glue at 50 cents. This is simply a variation on the theme that I use for most of my aboreal species I just adapt it to whatever type of tall, large containers I find at good prices. It provides good ventilation while still keeping enough humidity. Yes CM, I know humidity is overrated :D but with gas heat the air in my place gets so dry that the cats hair stands on end and the poor devils are always getting shocked LOL.

Gail

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gail, hot set up! the plastic canvas, where do you get it?
Ed

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
You can find it in the craft section of almost any store like Walmart or Dollar General. Usual only costs about 25 cents or less for a sheet that is about 9" x 12". Comes in dozens of colors.

Gail

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Very well thought out vivaria, and beautifully illustrated, Gail!

Joy

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are the Martha Stewart of ArachnoBoards! It's a good thing! :worship:

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a really good idea, and very well thought out.:clap:

What i would like to recomend is that once the Avic sling is established in this type of container, and needs to be "potted on".I would place the entire container with the lid open and let the young Avic rehouse itself, it may take a few months, but letting Avics do thier own thing when rehousing (especially with A. purpurea) often prevents them from getting stressed so they stop putting web down which often leads to death.

Ray