Dying Parahybana question

avmaviator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi All,

So on Sunday my little hybana (1.5 in) over heated, due to my negligence (i feel horrible about it). She was starting to curl up a bit that night. So i put her in ICU, with really high humidity. So she has been in ICU for a couple of days now, with no progress. She has not curled up, but she doesn't react to anything either (don't worry i didn't poke her or anything). This morning I look in her ICU and she is flipped over in the molting position. I would love for her to molt but she molted a week and a half ago, so she can't be molting now.
So basically, can a T flipping over be a sign of death? or dying? Her legs are not curled up in a ball, the front ones are slighty curled and the back ones less.

Thank you for your time and help

Arno

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by avmaviator
Hi All,

I would love for her to molt but she molted a week and a half ago, so she can't be molting now.
So basically, can a T flipping over be a sign of death? or dying? Her legs are not curled up in a ball, the front ones are slighty curled and the back ones less.

Thank you for your time and help

Arno
Hi Arno,

It's possible she could be dead. Sometimes spiderlings don't always die in the curled legs position. That's usually when they're dried out with no moisture available. Sometimes spiderlings will die from too much moisture entering their booklungs, and when this happens they don't usually die with their legs curled under. They can die in a normal looking position. when this happens there is usually no response to nudging them.

As far as molting, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it, though small spiderlings normally molt once a month or so and that time spaces out more as they grow larger.

You might want to give her a day and then check her, lightly nudging her, etc. to see if she's alive or not.

Let us know what happens!

Paul

avmaviator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Thanks for the info Paul.

I'm pretty sure its dead now. Her abdomen is deflatting slowly. This blows, i'm so pissed at myself. My first dead T. god this sucks

Arno

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I had several die that way at a recent presentation at a county fair. I DID save several however, I grabbed them and put their faces in a water dish. They SUCKED water for about 5 minutes and I think that might have saved them.

I'm sorry for your loss, but it happens to all of us. Don't blame yourself, it's a learning experience and it will never happen again I'm sure!

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: ....

Originally posted by avmaviator
Thanks for the info Paul.

I'm pretty sure its dead now. Her abdomen is deflatting slowly. This blows, i'm so pissed at myself. My first dead T. god this sucks

Arno
No problem, Arno. My condolances.

Don't be angry at yourself. We all live and learn. All we can do is try to do things the best we can. Many times it's not even something we have done ourselves that causes the death of a tarantula, or that we really understand, as there are many mysteries surrounding tarantulas that not even the experts can put a finger on. I've had plenty of spiderlings die that simply refused to eat or drink, and a variety of other odd deaths. As well as some that were my own fault. Don't let this experience discourage you from the joys of keeping another of the same species.

Best thing I can tell you for a future L. parahybana spiderling is to keep it in a semi-dark place undisturbed except for waterings (make sure you add small amount of moisture at least once a week or if you notice the substrate is totally dry) and feedings (as often as it will take food, cut up mealworm pieces work well, just make sure to remove any leftovers or mold that results from leftovers) and for the occasional general check.

Paul

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get another one. Oh hell, get 2!:D
I have 2 slings and they're doing great even after I almost over heated them. I caught it in time(thank goodness!). The one I was really worried about was the little Pink Zebra beauty cause it was upside down with it's little legs flying all about! I thought it was toasted for sure! I grabbed it , opened the cup, blew air into it to cool it down and immediately dripped some cool water into the soil. 5 days later it molted and it's doing great now. I was sooo relieved!
Just be more careful in the future, I know I am. I went and bought 2 thermometers and a smaller heater. I also keep the door to the glass cabinet slightly open to allow airflow.