Pamphobeteus/Xenesthis--Difference?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sometimes I see pics of Pamphobeteus species or Xenesthis species and I can't see any noticeable difference. Can someone give me the ultra-detailed version of why there are two different genera here? Are they closely related? How can the "layman" (A.K.A. myself!) tell the difference between the two?

:?

-Kelly

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
How can the "layman" (A.K.A. myself!) tell the difference between the two?

It is very very easy to distinguish between Xenesthis and Pamphobeteus though they share a superficial resemblance.

The jumping point is to look at the leg IV - the rear legs. Take a look at metatarsus and check out the scopula pads on the ventral surface. In Pamphobeteus it covers no more than maximum 1/4 of the segment distally. In Xenesthis it covers the whole lenght of the metatarsus, extending up to the sides and the dorsal surface as well.

Check the drawing for comparison ;-)

This is the major point in distinguishing Xenesthis from the other Theraphosinae. Next question is how do you differentiate between, Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, Sericopelma, Megaphobema and Theraphosa? ;-p

Best regards
Søren

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Pamphobeteus/Xenesthis--Difference?

Originally posted by phormingochilus
It is very very easy to distinguish between Xenesthis and Pamphobeteus though they share a superficial resemblance.

The jumping point is to look at the leg IV - the rear legs. Take a look at metatarsus and check out the scopula pads on the ventral surface. In Pamphobeteus it covers no more than maximum 1/4 of the segment distally. In Xenesthis it covers the whole lenght of the metatarsus, extending up to the sides and the dorsal surface as well.

Check the drawing for comparison ;-)

This is the major point in distinguishing Xenesthis from the other Theraphosinae. Next question is how do you differentiate between, Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, Sericopelma, Megaphobema and Theraphosa? ;-p

Best regards
Søren
Very informative! Thank you Søren!:)

Jake

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you, Soren and Martin! The difference is very clear to me now. I appreciate it! Glad we have access to people who know what they're talking about around here! :)

-Kelly

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great info!

Thanks for sharing that, Soren! We're all very fortunate to have you here!

Paul