Death Feigning beeltes?

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know how big they get? how long they live? and whats their care?

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm assuming you're referring to Asbolus verrucosus? They should live at least several years in captivity. They should be pretty easy to care for, light-moderate misting once a week and be fed moisten dog kibble and small bits of fresh fruit/veggies. Sandy substrate or peat moss, not much like 2-3 inches.

I think their max size is about an inch.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm assuming you're referring to Asbolus verrucosus? They should live at least several years in captivity. They should be pretty easy to care for, light-moderate misting once a week and be fed moisten dog kibble and small bits of fresh fruit/veggies. Sandy substrate or peat moss, not much like 2-3 inches.

I think their max size is about an inch.
Wow! they're starting to win me over! :D Can they be bred? Oh and instead of dog kibble. What other foods can you give em? It'd be weird to buy a huge bag of dog kibble. xD

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow! they're starting to win me over! :D Can they be bred? Oh and instead of dog kibble. What other foods can you give em? It'd be weird to buy a huge bag of dog kibble. xD
I don't think they have successfully been bred yet. I know bugsincyberspace sells them here, maybe even attempting to breed them. I've been interested in them but I've been busy with research and gotta save money for a nice group of them!

I guess you can feed them any high protein substitutes like fish flakes/pellets. I saw this video posted, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzm_ab7QZQY

Very fascinating indeed!

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think they have successfully been bred yet. I know bugsincyberspace sells them here, maybe even attempting to breed them. I've been interested in them but I've been busy with research and gotta save money for a nice group of them!

I guess you can feed them any high protein substitutes like fish flakes/pellets. I saw this video posted, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzm_ab7QZQY

Very fascinating indeed!
I'd get like 6 of em myself if I could! D: I maybe able too though.... hmm........

Jtrev4509

Arachnopeon
Information

We have a couple of these where I work and I was just wondering what is the best foods for them and substrate. Any information would be helpful, we dont know to much about them and my job is to find stuff out. Thanks in advance! :)

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have a couple of these where I work and I was just wondering what is the best foods for them and substrate. Any information would be helpful, we dont know to much about them and my job is to find stuff out. Thanks in advance! :)
Try making a seperate thread for that. You will yield better results. For substrate though I'ved seen them in tanks with soil. Try something that has no chems, additives, pesticides, fertz, etc. etc. etc.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
They are very hardy and cool looking little guys. I keep mine on dry peat moss/eco-earth and feed them bits of carrots/grain/dog food once a week. Give them pieces of bark to hide under, although they will usually come out during the day anyway. So I read, to breed them there is some sort of carrot burrying trick, but I'm not sure. See other insect/beetle forums for details.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These have in fact been bred by several people. The key is providing the adults with a variety of places to lay eggs including both moist and dry areas.
The carrot burying trick refers to simply burying carrots in certain areas in enclosure; the moisture from them encourages laying and at the same time provides newborn larvae (which would otherwise dry out or go hungry) with an immediate source of food. This trick also works for breeding superworms.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
These have in fact been bred by several people. The key is providing the adults with a variety of places to lay eggs including both moist and dry areas.
The carrot burying trick refers to simply burying carrots in certain areas in enclosure; the moisture from them encourages laying and at the same time provides newborn larvae (which would otherwise dry out or go hungry) with an immediate source of food. This trick also works for breeding superworms.
Hey Zeph, do you recall the forums/sites where you saw the reports? Any links offhand? Victor thanks you in advance...

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah,ive kept them in the past aswell,very cool little beetle and yes very hardy at that,i sold off my group(i'm a predatory beetle fanatic)....hmm i wonder if they are all still alive:rolleyes:they are supposed to have long lifespans.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Zeph, do you recall the forums/sites where you saw the reports? Any links offhand? Victor thanks you in advance...
gah!!! so beautiful!!!

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

yeah,ive kept them in the past aswell,very cool little beetle and yes very hardy at that,i sold off my group(i'm a predatory beetle fanatic)....hmm i wonder if they are all still alive:rolleyes:they are supposed to have long lifespans.
How long of a life span? I like long lived beetles. :p I'd go for those rhino beetles. but they're short lived. Sorta pointless.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have access to adults, so I don't bother to create a perfect egg-laying tank for them. Mine is a display tank with a light on top and I keep it dry. The light keeps the tank warm. Warmth promotes activity for the beetles and velvet ants, kept communally. It's my favorite display tank that I have, in terms of activity and colors. (the video linked below shows an incarnation of it from a year or two ago, but I still use the same tank).

I did accidently dig up 4 larvae the other day when I was looking for some velvet ants that were hiding.

I've kept a lot of different bugs, but these are my absolute favorite pet bugs to recommend to people due to their hardiness and activity levels. Of course, the more you have, the more interesting the display is as they forage around the cage. Also, these can be kept with any other pet darkling beetles. Variety is fun.

Nobody knows how long they live and part of the reason for this is because we always have wild caught specimens, and there is no knowing how old they are. A lot of people doubt this fact, but here it is from the man himself:

Field guide to beetles of California By Arthur V. Evans, James N. Hogue
Page 215 (A. verrucosus):

http://books.google.com/books?id=W7...=cryptoglossa verrucosus ghost beetle&f=false

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have access to adults, so I don't bother to create a perfect egg-laying tank for them. Mine is a display tank with a light on top and I keep it dry. The light keeps the tank warm. Warmth promotes activity for the beetles and velvet ants, kept communally. It's my favorite display tank that I have, in terms of activity and colors. (the video linked below shows an incarnation of it from a year or two ago, but I still use the same tank).

I did accidently dig up 4 larvae the other day when I was looking for some velvet ants that were hiding.

I've kept a lot of different bugs, but these are my absolute favorite pet bugs to recommend to people due to their hardiness and activity levels. Of course, the more you have, the more interesting the display is as they forage around the cage. Also, these can be kept with any other pet darkling beetles. Variety is fun.

Nobody knows how long they live and part of the reason for this is because we always have wild caught specimens, and there is no knowing how old they are. A lot of people doubt this fact, but here it is from the man himself:

Field guide to beetles of California By Arthur V. Evans, James N. Hogue
Page 215 (A. verrucosus):

http://books.google.com/books?id=W7...=cryptoglossa verrucosus ghost beetle&f=false
Hmm nice. :D Thanks it said someone had recorded them to live 17 years on them for their specimen. Wondering if they can be bred. I'd love to breed them myself. They are by far one of my most favorite beetles. Even if they are small. As for other darkling beetles. I'm not too fan of their shape. I prefer the shape of the blue beetle. It's round.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As for your repeated question about breeding them, I answered that in my previous post. I have numerous contacts that have now obtained larvae from their adults.

I don't think of them as small beetles. They are much larger than the average organism on the planet;)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 12 of these guys (Thanks! Peter) and just love them. My daughter loves to watch them because they do so many different things. Based on Peter's recommendation I decides to add some velvet ants. I went out to my mailbox and found a few velvet ants and stuck them in with the beetles. The combination of the two species is great. I have had them for three months and have multiple moisture gradients set up in their enclosure. I also have two different types of roots (carrots and potatoes) buried in the substrate. I have not seen any larvae yet but have not disturbed the substrate.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As for your repeated question about breeding them, I answered that in my previous post. I have numerous contacts that have now obtained larvae from their adults.

I don't think of them as small beetles. They are much larger than the average organism on the planet;)
sorry I didnt see that. : X

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just saw some blue death feigning beetle larva in my 5 gallon aquarium. They are about half an inch long and are yellow.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice! What are you feeding the larvae?
Great question. I have some carrots and potatoes buried in the soil. I have dried carrots and dog food on the surface. I am not sure what they are eating. I am willing to try anything at this point. I am not sure if I can get them from this stage to adulthood. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Anyone had any experience with these larva? Thanks for looking.