They've hatched

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We'll its been exactly two months and now they've hatched. The Phiddipus regius eggsac is now filled with newborns. In the next few months it will be tricky trying to feed them all but I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome. This may turn into the captive breeding of jumpers. TBA. thanks all.

Joel=D =D =D =D =D

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Everything looks good

Well momma P.regius has left the eggsac to fend for itself. The babies are still moving around inside. Probably within the next week or so they should be breaking out and hunting. I'll send some pics when that happens.

Just me
Joel:D

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I eagerly await the first pic :D

Laura

Sheesh I feel like an expectant family member lol

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I never thought of it like that

Originally posted by xanadu1015
I eagerly await the first pic :D

Laura

Sheesh I feel like an expectant family member lol
Yeah it's a little weird but that's exactly how it feels. You could be the aunt of 100 babies. And you thought that today was just going to be one of those days.....
Babies smile for laura, hey put that cricket down, don't eat your brother, hey stop that or you'll have a time out.....

just me
Joel

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since everyone is hungry for pictures here is a pic of one of our Phiddipus sp. constructing a websac to build her eggsac in.

Darrin

Attachments

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool picture Darrin. That's an awesome looking species. :eek:

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey...

That's probably Phiddipus pulcherrimus. What a great looking spider. You did say egg sac right? Hmmm.... Any adults up for sale at your website? Thanks for sharing the great pic Darrin

just me

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Darrin,
Just wondering, how do you keep your jumpers?
ArachKnight, how are the babies doing?

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
keeping jumpers

We keep them in tall deli cups over semimoist soil. What I mean by that is that vertical space and structures to climb on are critical. Adults and young will rarely be found on the soil itself and a tall vertical space allows the female to regulate humidity to some degree by how far away or close to the soil she places the egg sac. We magnify this differential by placing the aeration holes around the top edge.

Darrin

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used to always breed jumpers was one of my specialties.. I used to selective breed em too.. could get them to double their size that way. feeding the babies isnt really hard. Usualy I let them canobalize to half the stock then feed small ants or fruit flies to the rest until they get bigger for larger prey items.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey thanks for posting the picture! I have never seen a jumper colored like that let alone knew anyone who had been breeding them. This is so cool! Hey Laura, maybe we can collect some of the jumping spiders we find around here and try this some time. Some of them must be more then a year old because they are quite large.

Sharon

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Navaros
Darrin,
Just wondering, how do you keep your jumpers?
ArachKnight, how are the babies doing?
Babies are good, momma has passed on.....She did lay one more egg sac and I'll be the surrogate mommy. It looks like I'll probably have 70 individuals from the first sac after cannibalism. I'll try to minimize it by profiding live prey but will have to see after they emerge from the sac. I can see them moving around and they are sensitive to my breath. No I have good breath, oh never mind. I'll send pics of them when they are leaving the sac. Thanks for the dilligence.