Toxicity of T. bastosi and others?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
What would you say the venom toxicity is for these species:

Tityus bastosi, T. silvestris, T. magnimanus?

On a venom scale out of five, what toxins are in the venom, effects, etc. Any advice will be appreciated.

Also what age do you think someone could start keeping these species?

Thanks for any help!:D;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I posted a list of some Tityus species in the hobby, together with LD50 values...Regardless of what to think of "LD50", the values can serve as indication for the venomocity of the species. You might want to look for it using the search function, I am at work, so I can't repost it....

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I posted a list of some Tityus species in the hobby, together with LD50 values...Regardless of what to think of "LD50", the values can serve as indication for the venomocity of the species. You might want to look for it using the search function, I am at work, so I can't repost it....
Eh, don't worry, that was another question of mine that you so kindly answered. I saved it and it is now a sticky as well, but T. bastosi, T. silvestris, T. ocelote and I think a few other scorpions were missing an LD50 value. I'll try to research it though.

I was just wanting to know, in this case, your general opinion about it and what age someone could start keeping the three particular species.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
General opinion: T.magnimanus and T.silvestris at least 4 out of 5, and T.bastosi and T.cf. ocelote 3 out of 5.
The latter part of your question is much more difficult to answer. Regardless, well, to a certain extent, of age, it is about responsibility and experience in keeping these species. You need to know what the species need to thrive and behave responsibly with them.....(you know, not showing off with them, or take rash actions).

T.magnimanus is the easiest species to raise of the above. Very hardy, very prolific, very kannibalistic and very venomous. T.ocelote and T.bastosi are very small, T.ocelote is even smaller than T.bastosi, so you need to be able to get small crickets for them, all the time....

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
General opinion: T.magnimanus and T.silvestris at least 4 out of 5, and T.bastosi and T.cf. ocelote 3 out of 5.
The latter part of your question is much more difficult to answer. Regardless, well, to a certain extent, of age, it is about responsibility and experience in keeping these species. You need to know what the species need to thrive and behave responsibly with them.....(you know, not showing off with them, or take rash actions).

T.magnimanus is the easiest species to raise of the above. Very hardy, very prolific, very kannibalistic and very venomous. T.ocelote and T.bastosi are very small, T.ocelote is even smaller than T.bastosi, so you need to be able to get small crickets for them, all the time....
Michiel, thanks! That is extremely helpful!!:D I know what you mean about the second question being hard to answer, considering venom toxicity varies in a species, depends on the victim's body weight, health (of course), whether he/she is allergic, etc. I think I am highly responsible and I never take risks, just so you know I'm not crazy.:rolleyes:;)...:D:D

Hmm, I didn't know T. magnimanus was highly cannabalistic.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
By the way, what does c.f. mean, as in Tityus c.f. silvestris, Tityus c.f. ocelote, etc? Thanks.;):D

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

What would you say the toxicity of T. fasciolatus and T. ecuadorensis would be in your opinion on a "venom scale"?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are also 4 out of 5. But I don't think you will get your hands on T.fasciolatus anytime soon :)
cf means 'confer', this abbrevation is used when a taxon comes closest to an already described species (and it is not yet sure that the differences of this taxon are enough to describe a new species). The abbrevation "aff." is also used, this means basically the same, the taxon shows affinities with an already described species. So when you are not completely sure what species you have, but it exhibits a lot of affinities with i.e. Tityus magnimanus, you write T. cf. magnimanus....

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Michiel,

Have you ever been stung by any of these species. Yes, it is an extremely odd question but I was wondering if you recorded or can remember the effects. I am considering getting T. silvestris and T. ecuadorensis and I am crazy:rolleyes:...I am just taking as many precautions as I can.:D

Thanks.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Michiel,

Have you ever been stung by any of these species. Yes, it is an extremely odd question but I was wondering if you recorded or can remember the effects. I am considering getting T. silvestris and T. ecuadorensis and I am crazy:rolleyes:...I am just taking as many precautions as I can.:D

Thanks.
I have been keeping scorpions for over 18 years now and I have never been stung. >knocks on wood, just to be sure< .I did get bitten by a tarantula years ago :) That was painfull, but nothing more.....

There are some stingreports regarding Tityus on the Venomlist.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I have been keeping scorpions for over 18 years now and I have never been stung. >knocks on wood, just to be sure< .I did get bitten by a tarantula years ago :) That was painfull, but nothing more.....

There are some stingreports regarding Tityus on the Venomlist.
Haha, liked your analagy. Thanks, I'll look there.:)

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know this thread is old, but I was wondering...

T. trivittatus, T. nematochirus, T. zulianus, and T. argentinus are all "4" out of five on a scale, right? I have been thinking about getting T. trivittatus, that is my reason for asking.

Also, could you say that T. trivittatus is more "venomous" than T. fasciolatus, even though they are both reasonably dangerous?

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, you could say that. Although all Tityus species are considered medically important, some are more venomous than others. Surprised you can get T.trivitattus in the States...It's one of the nicer species I think.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, you could say that. Although all Tityus species are considered medically important, some are more venomous than others. Surprised you can get T.trivitattus in the States...It's one of the nicer species I think.
I'm glad you think so. I do too.:) Although, it looks pretty similar to T. fasciolatus, does it have similarities at all besides coloration patterns?

A very kind friend is able to get them...legally. No worries!;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm glad you think so. I do too.:) Although, it looks pretty similar to T. fasciolatus, does it have similarities at all besides coloration patterns?

A very kind friend is able to get them...legally. No worries!;)

You see, guys, the US hobby seems not THAT bad at all :D

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You see, guys, the US hobby seems not THAT bad at all :D
Yep, we've got some native species that you don't have! Diplocentrus spp....no, you've got those...maybe Pseudouroctonus spp....nope, got those as well, what species don't you have?:) I should move to Australia and then tell you how much fun it is!:D;)

You said you thought T. trivittatus was one of the nicer Tityus spp., if you don't mind me asking, what others do you like? I am waiting to see if T. argentinus becomes available, then I'd have my "holy grail".

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, we've got some native species that you don't have! Diplocentrus spp....no, you've got those...maybe Pseudouroctonus spp....nope, got those as well, what species don't you have?:) I should move to Australia and then tell you how much fun it is!:D;)

You said you thought T. trivittatus was one of the nicer Tityus spp., if you don't mind me asking, what others do you like? I am waiting to see if T. argentinus becomes available, then I'd have my "holy grail".
Out of the ca. 190 species? I like a lot of them, the list would be long...T.argentinus is a small, not that colorfull scorpions, so I think you might want to rethink what your holy grail is ;)

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Out of the ca. 190 species? I like a lot of them, the list would be long...T.argentinus is a small, not that colorfull scorpions, so I think you might want to rethink what your holy grail is ;)
Yeah, I didn't think about the genus being so large.

T. argentinus or T. fasciolatus in the hobby, I meant. Out of the hobby, probably T. mattogrossensis, although I like a lot of them too. I wish T. melanostictus was still in the hobby circuit.