What's a good desert species?

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
I have two emperors and was looking to get a desert species IF my tax return ever comes. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a fun, hardy desert scorp? I really like the look of the Parabuthus transvaalicus, but I am not sure about the "spitting" part, lol. I have had the emperors for 6 months, so I am still a beginner at scorpions, though I have taken care of spiders of all sorts and a few mantids all with great results and my emperors seem very happy, so maybe something for a "newbie" would be best too. Suggestions?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hadrurus arizonensis, the desert hairy scorp is a good beginner desert spevies.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hadrurus arizonensis, the desert hairy scorp is a good beginner desert spevies.
Any desert scorpion thats from the US is easy to take care of IMO, but the Desert hairy is the best, try to get an adult, the only hard part is their molting especially at the 3rd/4th instar 'hump'

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Then I would not go for P.transvaalicus yet. I have had H.spadix in the past and I found them very attractive. They are active diggers (at night) and have a good size. The only "problem" seems to be breeding them.....

peterock44

Arachnopeon
Smeringurus mesaensis - Dune scorpion might also be a good choice. never had one but i've heard they are a good transition species. supposedly bottled greased lightning fast, but a pretty harmless sting

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dune scorpions are neat, I just picked up one last week, he is already digging tunnels anywhere and everywhere

H Spadix is nice too, if you know what a desert hairy looks like, they look just like those with more of a black/darker back

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah i got one of those too, they are pretty neat, they dig burrows and scurry around alot

they can be in slightly more humid then desert hairy not by much just 10 more

2wire

Arachnopeon
i suggest an adult H. arizonensi, H. Spadix. or if you want something small but powerful you might want to check O. innesi. they are cute and their tails are so thick and big. I have a pair and i have not encounter any issues yet. For me they are very easy to keep.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hadrurus species are okay beginner species in my opinion. They are big and cool, but they can be very defensive. There sting can be a little painful as well. I recently heard a story from a guy who said one got him and his hand swelled like a balloon. The only reason I'm sure he knew the species was the size and region reported.

Personally, I like scorpions from genus' Diplocentrus, Vaejovis (Hoffimanus), Paruroctonus, Uroctonus, etc, for beginners. These genus' species are generally mild, easy to handle (handle or work around), and are all very hardy and easier to breed than the Hadrurus.

Of course, if you think you are ready to step it up a bit, Hadrurus may be just thing for you. Of course, there are many rookies with Parabuthus and Androctonus, and I know a lot of experienced keepers who like the species I listed above. I personally can't hardly wait to get some D. whitei! ;)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I like scorpions from genus' Diplocentrus, Vaejovis (Hoffimanus), Paruroctonus, Uroctonus, etc, for beginners. These genus' species are generally mild, easy to handle (handle or work around), and are all very hardy and easier to breed than the Hadrurus.
I agree. We need a little more love for our native species. They are so cool and generallly easier to get and keep the exotics. We have a lot of really neat, pretty species that are being bred at all.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Totally forgot about P boreus. friggin sweet little desert scorpions. I guess not really available in the hobby, but if you can get one or more they are awesome.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. We need a little more love for our native species. They are so cool and generallly easier to get and keep the exotics. We have a lot of really neat, pretty species that are being bred at all.
Agreed! MOST of our domestic species are not being bred. Although I am seeing a little more interest this year, which is good! :clap: There will come a time where they are much harder to get. They can be obtained so cheaply right now, but that will change, and I bet there will be some people regretting they didn't grab a species or two while they could. I have seen a lot of interest in our domestic species in some of the international forums though. If only I had my import/export permits, we could trade them for all the species the Europeans have that we don't. :wall: Maybe this winter I will get it.... :}

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Agreed! MOST of our domestic species are not being bred. Although I am seeing a little more interest this year, which is good! :clap: There will come a time where they are much harder to get. They can be obtained so cheaply right now, but that will change, and I bet there will be some people regretting they didn't grab a species or two while they could. I have seen a lot of interest in our domestic species in some of the international forums though. If only I had my import/export permits, we could trade them for all the species the Europeans have that we don't. :wall: Maybe this winter I will get it.... :}
Yes, you should.:D:D

I agree as well. The only thing is I have restrictions on how many species I can get. I am waiting for T. silvestris and T. ecuadorensis, but (if I could) I would be interested in Diplocentrus spp., although I have heard they are not really communal. Is this true?

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another vote for local species!

We find Centruroides vittatus in the house occasionally. If you look around the drier parks, you can find a several in under an hour.

Although they're small, they use their stingers a lot when bringing down prey. They can be kept in communities pretty well and if your care is good, they will multiply in numbers!