Temperature and humidity

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I apologize if this is a topic that's already been discussed to death, but I've noticed some conflicting info in regards to temperature and humidity. Many people with years of experience say keeping Ts at room temp. (low to mid-70s, unless we're talking about the summer months) is fine. For species that like it humid, many say it's okay to merely keep the water dish full and mist every couple of days. However, I noticed that the care tips section of a well-known and well-respected breeder's site says (among other things):

- Always keep Ts at 78-90 degrees

- Don't mist the tank, because it just makes the inside of the container wet and does nothing to help hydrate the spider. Instead, make the substrate super moist until there is visible condensation in the enclosure.

- New Ts should always be acclimated in a hot (mid-80s), humid environment, otherwise the changes in conditions can cause great stress.

Once I move to a larger place at the end of the summer, I could theoretically build a heated cabinet, but I definitely don't have the space to do so now. Most of my spiders are in acrylic enclosures, so heat mats aren't an option -- and I couldn't afford to keep my entire apartment at 80º+ even if I wanted to (which I don't). Opinions would be much appreciated: is it okay to keep them at room temperature, or should I plan on making the heated cabinet when I can?

As for the humidity, I thought misting arboreal species was a good idea, since they like to drink off the glass. I do have the substrate moistened in all of my arboreal enclosures, but not to the point where there is a TON of condensation. Should I remedy this? Again, I know these are ridiculously basic questions, but it confuses me a bit when the advice of knowledgable keepers seems to conflict.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Because there IS not adament rules on the best care for tarantulas, we've all sort of grown and adapted our own ways of keeping them that work best. When they're shared, they sometimes conflict..

Saying ALL tarantulas require temps near the 90's sounds..eh, tipsy. But there are certainly many that could tolerate it. However I believe its far from necessary.

Warmer temps and increased feeding = faster growth. I've never purposely kept my T room above 78*.. it'll reach low 80's at max.

As far as misting the containers? With the exceptions of flooding certain species, especially to incur seasonal mating behaviour, misting is the ONLY source of water my T's get, (with of course the obvious exception of prey items).

-Sean

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Misting to provide drinking water is different than misting to maintain higher humidity. The former works, the latter doesn't. Adding water to the substrate and restricting airflow are viable options for raising and maintaining humidity.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Not all tarantulas require higher temperature as well as humidity. Some do fine at room temperatures(65F) with humidity as low as 30-40% Some on the other hand do indeed require warmer more humid set ups and will tolerate the lack of there of poorly. Most however will do fine in the mid 70s

As far as water source goes all tarantulas can drink from an open source of water and just a water bowl, a flooded substrate(since Ts can drink directly from the substrate) or a slight misting of the tank/enclosure will provide your T's with a sip of cool refreshing water to drink
If you want to attain higher humidity without causing a flood, just cover the top of the enclosure or its vents with plastic wrap in proportions directly corelated to the resulting rise in humidity.

as far as getting aclimated in the warmer temperature goes most of the slings i have purchased went straight to their containers, kept at room temperature (my house is at a constant 72) and were left alone for 3 days after that they seemed ready to eat and did not exhibit any signs of stress

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I apologize if this is a topic that's already been discussed to death, but I've noticed some conflicting info in regards to temperature and humidity.
This is because tarantula husbandry is all about personal preference. You find your own way and style of taking care of your T, and use other keeper's husbandry styles as rough guidelines that can be mixed and matched.

- Always keep Ts at 78-90 degrees
In the early winter before we turn on the heat our tarantulas are regularly 64F and occasionally even lower in the night. All are still healthy with no apparent harm to them. They certainly aren't growing as fast as they could be, but I don't really see that as a bad thing.

On the other hand, in the summer they are kept in an un-air-conditioned room that gets as hot as it is outside in muggy Southern Indiana.(90-100 being the extreme) That's when they grow.

- Don't mist the tank, because it just makes the inside of the container wet and does nothing to help hydrate the spider. Instead, make the substrate super moist until there is visible condensation in the enclosure.
We would all have to agree on a definition for misting, but I bet we don't. So, before I continue...... I call misting spraying the air in the enclosure or the sides of the enclosure misting. When you start wetting substrate, it stops being misting IMO.

Actually the only thing misting can really accomplish is hydrating the spider, as they can drink from water droplets on the side of the enclosure. It will provide a brief spike in humidity, but evaporates off quickly.

Wetting a portion of the substrate once a week is normally enough to keep enclosures humid enough for all of our Ts. Condensation isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if your substrate is constantly wet you will most likely have a mold breeding ground. Unless you are dealing with a sling that is 2" or smaller there really isn't a need to have ALL the substrate moist. Until they hit 2" though, moist substrate is a good thing, since their epicuticle isn't fully formed until around then and that makes them more prone to desiccation. Bigger Ts though, a portion, or the corners once a week should work just fine.

Then there is the easiest way to control humidity. Block off some/ most of the ventilation and put in a large water dish. This is what the T(arantula)K(eeper's)G(uide) recommends and it is aimed at beginners.

- New Ts should always be acclimated in a hot (mid-80s), humid environment, otherwise the changes in conditions can cause great stress.
I have never heard of this one, nor noticed anything other than the normal settling in signs when not bringing the temps up that high. The substrate is normally a little damp when we put together a new enclosure anyway.

Opinions would be much appreciated: is it okay to keep them at room temperature, or should I plan on making the heated cabinet when I can?
If you are in the US, than your room temp should be just fine for your spider.

As for the humidity, I thought misting arboreal species was a good idea, since they like to drink off the glass.
You can do that for them to drink, but it will make the sides of the tank stained if you are using tap water. They can get water from a dish, or you can spray in their web.

I do have the substrate moistened in all of my arboreal enclosures, but not to the point where there is a TON of condensation. Should I remedy this?
I would let it dry out a bit. It does sound a bit too wet from your description and it won't hurt to let it dry out a bit. Then don't keep it so wet. :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I even have a few Theraphosa which I keep at temperatures under 80 degrees and humidity no more than 70% which some "experts" say will ultimately kill them :embarrassed: Must be luck on my part that I haven't had molting issues with any of them. People tend to forget or look over the fact that some spiders happen to live in deep burrows. I doubt they have heaters down there with them...
Hm! I wonder how long have you been keeping Theraphosa.
Of course,if you have lived ONE molt,on ONE Theraphosa, chances are you have seen no problems.

Keep the humidity down, and we will talk in a couple of months.

jmsministries

Arachnopeon
I personally feel that T's for the most part could be kept at room temps in the higher 70's and be fine, probably. I definitely wouldn't reccomend keeping T.Blondi/Stirmi's at 70 temps though.
However, I personally keep all mine in a Heating Cabinet that I made. I used Paul beckers ideas and bought me a used piece of furniture and insulated it with Styrofoam etc. I have a piece of glass at the bottom back with a Zoo Med Heat pad attached to it. I control the temp with a Rhestat thing from Petsmart. I keep the temps from 80 to 84 and they seem to really love it!
You may say how do I know they love it? I tested all my T's 31 atm with different heating sources. I have everything from a G.Rosie, B.Smithi, King Baboon's, OBT, L.Klugi's, L.Para, Curly hairs, G.Pulchra, G.Pulchrips,T.Stirmi, and many other species. I kept my room at around 72-74 degrees; then I would place different types of heating sources just simply near the cages from different angles at different times. Literally all 31 tarantula's would climb on the sides of the rubbermaids etc right near the heating sources everytime. I work 3rd shift and I have tried this for weeks at morning, afternoon and night and they all would stay near that heating source on the wall. I now have them in the heating cabinet and they NEVER climb anything anymore and all of them have a healthy appetite now and the humidity is perfect in the rubbermaids etc. The other plus is I keep my air conditioning at 68 degrees like I like it and my T's have the temps that they like. Not to mention within a few days being in the heat cabinet several of them molted with no problems. Paul Becker who has kept T's for over 20yrs now swears that every T that he has ever kept was in Cabinets and they do great with NO molting issues.
But again this is my opinion I am not saying its wrong or inhumane to keep them at room temps etc....they are your T's and it makes no never mind to me how anyone keeps theirs :)

Feel free to check out my Youtube channel if you would like to see my heating cabinet. It's Tarantulamannc

God bless, James Sanders

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D What does the time i've kept them have to do with anything?
A lot, actually. Anyone can keep a spider alive for a short time in bad conditions. Long term success is a much better indication of whether the conditions you are maintaining are good. If person A has kept many tarantulas through many molts and person B has kept only a couple tarantulas for a few months, guess which one I'll listen to if they have conflicting ideas on how they should be kept?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A lot, actually. Anyone can keep a spider alive for a short time in bad conditions. Long term success is a much better indication of whether the conditions you are maintaining are good. If person A has kept many tarantulas through many molts and person B has kept only a couple tarantulas for a few months, guess which one I'll listen to if they have conflicting ideas on how they should be kept?
My point exactly, way better put.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone who replied! I think it would be ideal if I could keep my temps in the low 80s, but I need to try to figure out a way to make an attractive heating cabinet with a plexiglass front. I would much rather have my Ts on display, especially since I've invested a lot of money in nice-looking enclosures, than hidden behind wooden doors.

I think my humidity is fine, as well...not much visible condensation, but I wet at least part of the substrate in my arboreals' tanks a few times per week in addition to misting. As of yet, no mold to speak of.