U-Haul?

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Something has come up and I need to move away from where I'm at. I lost my job here and I need to regroup at my parents house 90 miles away. I just got 8 new T's as some of you may know, and I am wondering if they will be okay in the U'Haul? I will keep them in their enclosures and try and keep them as close together as possible so they're "solid" and don't bounce around so much. Does anyone have any experience having to move in short notice like this?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep them in the front with you, not in the back.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Keep them in the front with you, not in the back.
Defiantly keep them in front, back of a uhaul isn't meant for living creatures. Also take out hides and waterbowls that could possibly crush your tarantula if they move.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Put all the enclosures in a large sterilite tub (or other such large box) to keep them all together and put some towels between them as spacers/cushion. Have them be the last thing you put in the truck and the first thing you unload. I've used this method of transporting tarantulas in the past and have never had any problems with it.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get a big, like coffin sized crate and line it with the air mailers or 1" round bubbles, bubble wrap, put them side by side with bubble wrap in between and you should be good. Just make sure the tems are not in the upper 90's or something..But follow everones advice to protect your guys.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just make sure the tems are not in the upper 90's or something..But follow everones advice to protect your guys.
Good point. But trust me, right now the OP has nothing to worry about Wisconsin temperatures getting anywhere near the upper 90's. Maybe if they had the car heater on the whole time trained at the container and jerry rigged some hair dryers to blow hot air on them....

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Good point. But trust me, right now the OP has nothing to worry about Wisconsin temperatures getting anywhere near the upper 90's. Maybe if they had the car heater on the whole time trained at the container and jerry rigged some hair dryers to blow hot air on them....
LOL. Where about in Wisconsin are you at if I may ask?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You could always pack them in deli containers just like you would to ship them. Then you would have plenty of space to put them up front.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I'd ride with my Ts upfront as well, that way if i get pulled over my OBT can get me out of a ticket by slaping one into the officers face!

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
You said you are 90 miles from where you are moving to? Another option is to drive them to your parents' place in your car and come back for your move. That way, they are out of the way and you don't have worry about them while moving the rest of your stuff.

Just a suggestion.

synic

Arachnosquire
I may have to go through all of this at the end of August, except I'll be moving 800 miles. 13 hours on the road. I figure that's nothing compared to overnight shipping or something, but it's still a long time.

I wonder if finding some way to securely store them in the back would allow the temperature to be more controllable. It'll be cooler back there than it is in the cab, and it'll be hot when I move in August. At least, in my destination city.

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I know this thread has died already, but I wanted to leave an update. I'll be moving today (was moving yesterday, but took an extra day). But instead of renting a U-Haul (which will cost more than it's worth), we decided it best to just drive the car here and do it in 2-3 trips. So that way the T's can just ride in the car with me.I don't have any big items really anyway. Just a lot of boxes and stuff. The biggest thing is my TV. But that's only a 20" and it fits fine on the back seat of the car. I should know as I've already drove it from Appleton home to Sheboygan about 2 a week ago! This really sucks that I have to leave. I really do like Sheboygan. :(