Spderling not eatting

Nobody

Arachnopeon
I am new to keeping Tarantulas so not much experience with them but I am learning
I have a Acanthoscurria geniculata splderling that seems to not be eating since I got it about a month ago
I have searched around the web to find out how long will it take before it staves its self as it seems to like hiding away from the small crickets I put in with it
I have also tried putting in pre-killed larger Cricket in and they appear to be untouched also

so what can I do ?

Obijuan56

Arachnosquire
It might be getting ready to molt, Most tarantulas will eat when they are hungry or something is wrong. How is the abdomen size normal, big or small? I guess for now I would keep the humidity up so that it doesn't get dehydrated.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
post pics.... that would help alot but i agree if it hasnt eaten in that long its probably been in pre molt. if its a small t, the molt should happen soon... if u find it on its back DO NOT DISTURB it. after it does its thing, wait another weekish before feeding it. and yeah DEFINITELY at least mist lightly the sides of its enclosure to make sure its hydrated

synyster

Arachnobaron
post pics.... that would help alot but i agree if it hasnt eaten in that long its probably been in pre molt. if its a small t, the molt should happen soon... if u find it on its back DO NOT DISTURB it. after it does its thing, wait another weekish before feeding it. and yeah DEFINITELY at least mist lightly the sides of its enclosure to make sure its hydrated
+1. This resumes the situation well

Nobody

Arachnopeon
Ok here is a picture taken next to my little finger nail to show scale also

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, you could probably wait till it molts before you feed again.
Looks full.

Raven9464

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I totally agree ! It looks very healthy and full =) No need to worry !

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Nice and plump, even if it doesnt eat for next month or so it should be fine provided it has water it probably getting ready to molt and the refusal of food is just the first sign.

Nobody

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks for the replies as I was a little concerned as I have a another Spiderling who is eating and sheading fine so I have misted him and await the moult then

lancej

Arachnolord
It could also be the temps. What temps are you keeping it at? These guys like it pretty warm (75-85 F, 24-29 C). If it's too cool, try SLOWLY increasing the temps to desired range.

Nobody

Arachnopeon
pretty low at the moment just at room temperate for now
but he is top off my Snake Viv which is at that Temperate

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
+100 lance... increasing a temp too rapidly would cause SERIOUS problems to the t......

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

i went out and bought this doughnut thing from petsmart you can microwave that holds heat (its a pet bed warmer for dogbeds) . i use it every day and put it under my slings, as theyre still in tiny ketchup/salsa type plastic containers. it seems to work fine... it holds heat quite well and for a while too.

lancej

Arachnolord
The higher the temp, the higher its metabolism will be. The higher the metabolism, the bigger its appetite will be, and, also, the more frequently it will molt(and the pre-molt period will also be shorter); which means it will grow faster. Temps above 85F/29C, however, can be harmful. If it's temps are too cool, I would invest in a small heat lamp, or, better yet, a reptile egg incubator which can control both heat and humidity(I know they can be pricey, so this may be unreasonable unless you are planning on getting a lot more spiderlings). With the heat lamp, I would watch it very closely to make sure you are not getting it too hot. I would also search this forum to get an idea of how to provide warmth to your sling. I hope this helps you.

Nobody

Arachnopeon
I will higher up his temp then but if I leave him at room temp will that be a problem?

lancej

Arachnolord
Temps that are too low will make it difficult for it to molt and can also lower its immune system, making it more susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections. What is the temp in it cage? Also, how big is the cage? I forgot to ask that. Too much space can be a problem for spiderlings. They feel more comfortable in smaller areas.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Temps that are too low will make it difficult for it to molt and can also lower its immune system, making it more susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections. What is the temp in it cage? Also, how big is the cage? I forgot to ask that. Too much space can be a problem for spiderlings. They feel more comfortable in smaller areas.
A lot of your advice is wrong.

A heat lamp is a BAD thing to use. You could have a dried out tarantula very easily. Many users use more indirect methods of heating if needed. To the OP, what are your temps? I saw you mention it, but didn't see an actual number. Tarantulas can survive just fine at room temps if you don't live in a naturally cold climate.

Raising temps to increase the growth rate is something the OP would need to read more about to decide if they want to go that route. Speeding up growth isn't normally a recommended thing.

And tarantulas with a weaked immuned system? Do you have proof of that? The only fugus worries most keepers have are of fungus/mold inside the containers caused by, tada, humidity which can be helped with higher temps. Bacterial infections? I believe a vet would be needed to diagnoise that, and seeing how they don't treat tarantulas....

Space is only an issue for making sure you aren't trying to find a 1" sling in a 10gal tank for the human's minds sake and making sure they will encunter their prey. It isn't that they feel there is to much space (however would a sling survive in the wild?)

Nobody

Arachnopeon
OK thank you everyone who help with advice as I went out and bought a large heat mat to higher the temperate and with in a day the Spiderling had shed its skin and is looking good

So now how long must I wait before I offer it some food as I think he must be hungry

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For spiderlings I usually wait between 5-7 days before feeding after a molt.