Searching for scorpion

Dragonmoon

Arachnopeon
Hi there I have owned Emperor Scorpions before but wanting a new species... was thinking one of the North American Species....but open to suggestions...

What I would like is :-

Lower temps so additional heat isn't needed.
Lower end of the venom scale
Lower end on Humidity requirements
Communal would be nice but not essential

I have tried the search feature but can't find an answer
Thanks in advance

Chicagoblue

Arachnopeon
Look into the Desert Hairy Scorpion. Has alot of character & the venom is about a 1 or 2 in toxicity. Very low. Gets to 5 to 6 inches in lenght. I have no heater with mine and it's doing wonderful. Low humidity as well. Non-communal though. :)

Last edited:

Spam010

Arachnosquire
Or you could get the Uroctonus mordax, their venom is around 2 I believe. They don't grow big at all, around 2 inches. Not aggressive, but you do have to moist the substrate. However they don't need additional heat. And are communal, I thought I could just open more options there :D

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or you could get the Uroctonus mordax, their venom is around 2 I believe. They don't grow big at all, around 2 inches. Not aggressive, but you do have to moist the substrate. However they don't need additional heat. And are communal, I thought I could just open more options there :D
I would secound that

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
There are many. Pseudouroctonus spp., Paruroctonus, Vaejovis, Centruroides, Hadrurus, Anuroctonus, Diplocentrus, Serradigitus, Smeringurus, Superstitionia, Uroctonites, and Uroctonus, and more.

All scorpions need reasonably high temperatures, usually from 70-90 degrees Fahrenheit. The scorpions described above need higher temperatures, probably between 70 and 80 degrees.

All are generally safe for a healthy adult human. However, the genus Centruroides has several extremely venomous species, but these are all in Mexico, so I wouldn't worry. You asked though.;) The only one considered medically significant in the United States is C. sculpturatus, and, to give you an idea, would be a "3 out of 5" on a venom scale. Pseudouroctonus, Paruroctonus, Diplocentrus, Uroctonus, Superstitionia, Serradigitus, Uroctonites, Anuroctonus, and Vaejovis can be considered a "1", Hadrurus and Smeringurus, a "2".

Pseudouroctonus, Uroctonus, and Diplocentrus probably need higher humidity than the other scorpions described. The best advice I can give is to research them or invest in Manny Rubio's book "Scorpions" if you haven't already--it is an excellent book.

I would say all of them are communal except Superstitionia, Hadrurus, Smeringurus, and perhaps Diplocentrus. I do not know that much about Uroctonites or Anuroctonus.

All are reasonably easy to acquire, some are rarer than others. Hadrurus, Uroctonus, Smeringurus, and Vaejovis should be relatively easy to find. Pseudouroctonus, Paruroctonus, Superstitionia, Serradigitus, and Diplocentrus are harder.

Hope I helped. Good luck!;):D

Edit: I would personally recommend Uroctonus, Diplocentrus, Vaejovis, and Psedouroctonus, although Psedouroctounus is hard to find.