Dwarf Tarantulas?

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone know of a good dwarf tarantula for beginners? 3-5inches. I'm looking for something that's out alot. I don't know what people's recomendation for them are. Btw. if I give a T. alot of space. Will they use it? say if I get something like a 2ft long? or 3ft long? What about arboreal dwarfs(if applicable)? Oh and I rather have something that isn't skittish--- Iam not out to handle it. But I don't know how to transfer a tarantula that is skittish to a safe container if I ever move or something.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
A. minatrix are pretty small arboreals, and even some Taps aren't that big when you look at 'em.

Cyriocosmus are pretty cool dwarfs, not gonna cause much problems, can be nervous little wrecks sometimes though.

Paraphysa are probably the most chill I know.

-Sean

RB40

Arachnopeon
Paraphysa

Agreed Paraphysa are pretty much chilled. I have 2 female Paraphysa called Paraphysa sp. (blue form) Chilian Tiger that stay out in the open all the time, and they hardly ever use there hide out. I also have 3 slings that don't even seem skittish when I open there vial to feed them. I have had one of them for 3 years now, and she is about 3", and hasn't got any bigger. I also have some Euathlus sp. (Yellow) dwarf sp. that are super chilled out that are really great, but they don't get very big.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
5" really isn't a dwarf & 4" is on the verge ;)

Most dwarfs will be 3" or less. C. fasciatum is one of the species that some people consider a dwarf, but others don't.

Totally recommend C. ritae. I got 6 slings back in Jan, at 1/2 - 1" they were already wearing adult colors & are pretty brightly colored. They really don't get very big. I'll agree with them being nervous. One of mine is a flicker, but it just fills me with the need to talk baby talk ;) :D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cyriocsomus ritae is the coolest looking dwarf imo. My sling is pretty damn nervous. I don't have a problem with that.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two Cyriocosmus elegans but I never see them, they burrow down deep and once in awhile I check to see if they are alive. What I like about them though is when they were the size of an ant they would eat smashed crickets so they were easy to feed.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Euathlus sp. "Red/Yellow/Chilean Flame/Whatever you wanna call it" are great. Extremely docile, not skittish at all, always out in the open, get about 3" and look cool. I've heard sometimes they are picky eaters(heard that about many dwarfs though, and of the 4 different dwarf species I have, it appears true) but mine has always had a great feeding response. One of my favorite Ts by far. Only downside I could think of being that they are rather slow growers so a sling will take awhile to start to get some colors. Other than that, in every category I can think of, this species rocks

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow thanks guys! Iam getting an idea of what I can get I guess. :) much obliged.

rooster & hen

Arachnopeon
C. Ritae is definately the way to go. Mine is a chill (so far ) sub adult with great colors. A good webber and such a show off !

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now my question is--- what are the most active of dwarf tarantulas? What are the ones known for the higher levels of activity(For a tarantula)?

Btw anyone know sites that sell dwarfies?

I may end up getting a regular larger tarantula in the end but I rather know my options. I think green bottle blue is supposed to be somewhat active(for a tarantula). I mean there's this guy with a T.Blondi on youtube he gives his T. a 90g tank! because not only is it big, its active.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have C. ritae 4th instar (first US captive bred!) available. ;) They spend plenty of time out and about, as slings and as adults. One of my favorite dwarf species.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
Anyone know of a good dwarf tarantula for beginners? 3-5inches. I'm looking for something that's out alot. I don't know what people's recomendation for them are. Btw. if I give a T. alot of space. Will they use it? say if I get something like a 2ft long? or 3ft long? What about arboreal dwarfs(if applicable)? Oh and I rather have something that isn't skittish--- Iam not out to handle it. But I don't know how to transfer a tarantula that is skittish to a safe container if I ever move or something.
Nothing Ive ever had will use the space you want to give your Ts. Even my adult heavy webbers just pick a corner and live there. Alot of Ts just dig a hole and sit at the opening at night.

I think the coolest dwarf is the trinidad olive tree spider. Expect fast movement and defensive behaviors from them but if you arent a handler you should be fine. Mine is usually available for viewing and does do some impressive structure building. Transfers are easy. You just get a clear plastic tub from a department store and transfer inside. Only open the lid as much as you need to so you can shut it fast. If you fear speed bursts just set both cges in the plastic tub (spider cage and new cage open) and wait the T out. I did this with a fair sized P formosa with hardly any trouble. Transfer was complete in under 20 mins.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you just add 'tree spider' after all the common names you use?

H. incei aren't arboreal...not in a sense that you'd call them a 'tree spider'.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
Do you just add 'tree spider' after all the common names you use?

H. incei aren't arboreal...not in a sense that you'd call them a 'tree spider'.
You were deeply offended by my post. I would apologize for the severe and life changing injury my post caused if it were only aimed at you in the first place.

They are many times listed as tree spiders within their common names. I didnt include the proper name simply because the common name will do just fine for anyone looking them up on the net.

Mine didnt read the same book you did as it likes to hang around on top of its web structure. Some Ts just arent interested in education for some reason, perhaps you would want to talk to mine about its improper arboreal behaviors? I will warn you that it doesnt listen well very often but you are welcome to talk to it if it makes you feel better.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have C. ritae 4th instar (first US captive bred!) available. ;) They spend plenty of time out and about, as slings and as adults. One of my favorite dwarf species.
Joe, when did you get a sac from your girl? I have bred C ritae myself and am curious to know how you know yours are first us captive bred!

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
hahaha@ hexd
What isnt funny is that certain "experts" who come here are kids living with their parents who read a book about Ts once. People come here and post questions because they found a hobby they are interested in, they arent looking for some angry kid in need of a target to take his hormonal rage out on.

The more people we can keep interested in this hobby the better as many want to ban the keeping of Ts. Everyone I speak to at work thinks Ts are deadly poisonous! If angry little kids (like the one who replied to my post) dominate the information sources about this hobby we will lose our tarantula market.

In the future help us all direct the angry little kids somewhere else, let this be a place where people are welcome to ask questions and answer them free of puberty issues and other assorted forms of youth rage.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You were deeply offended by my post. I would apologize for the severe and life changing injury my post caused if it were only aimed at you in the first place.

They are many times listed as tree spiders within their common names. I didnt include the proper name simply because the common name will do just fine for anyone looking them up on the net.

Mine didnt read the same book you did as it likes to hang around on top of its web structure. Some Ts just arent interested in education for some reason, perhaps you would want to talk to mine about its improper arboreal behaviors? I will warn you that it doesnt listen well very often but you are welcome to talk to it if it makes you feel better.
What isnt funny is that certain "experts" who come here are kids living with their parents who read a book about Ts once. People come here and post questions because they found a hobby they are interested in, they arent looking for some angry kid in need of a target to take his hormonal rage out on.

The more people we can keep interested in this hobby the better as many want to ban the keeping of Ts. Everyone I speak to at work thinks Ts are deadly poisonous! If angry little kids (like the one who replied to my post) dominate the information sources about this hobby we will lose our tarantula market.

In the future help us all direct the angry little kids somewhere else, let this be a place where people are welcome to ask questions and answer them free of puberty issues and other assorted forms of youth rage.
I googled the "common name" you used & it appears to be useless :?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=trinidad+olive+tree+spider

However, if I google just trinidad olive, I find a whole bunch of stuff.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=trinidad+olive

So it would appear that you might be the only one using the combination of "trinidad olive tree spider".

I'm all for someone telling off all the kids you've described, but you'll sound less like a twat if you make sure you are actually trying to offend a one of the angry kids with limited experience.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joe, when did you get a sac from your girl? I have bred C ritae myself and am curious to know how you know yours are first us captive bred!
It's in the breeding reports - the only report on C. ritae.

Guess what? The scientific name would do even better, and you teach someone something at the same time. Oh, and the rest of us don't have to guess at what you're referring to.

You're a joke, get over yourself.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

AWESOME post! :worship::worship: I totally agree. It's always sad when people ask questions and get shot down with rudeness. The best teachers are the ones who answer all questions with respect. It encourages people to learn more.