Aussie T Not eating!

maimu

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

i am a little new here, i have been browsing for a little while, but this is the first time i have posted anything. I am from Australia, and currently keep a "Phlogiellus spp" as a pet. Now i know many of you probably haven't seen, or even heard of this spider, a little info can be found on www.tarantulas.com.au on it, and a picture or 2.

Basically i am writing here because i have had the spider for a little over a month now, and still she has not eaten.

How long can a spider go without eating?? should i be worried??

thanx for any help that can be given.

cheers
maimu

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I don't know much about Aussie Ts, but Steve Nunn is on here, and hopefully he can tell you more.
I wouldn't think a month is very long to go w/o eating. Some of mine haven't eaten in months!

maimu

Arachnopeon
good.. It doesn't look much thinner or aything like that, it hasn't spun any web at all, i am just a little worried.. if it died, it would be like losing one of my children :)

Steve Nunn hey? he obviously knows a little about aussie T's?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, yes, he does :)
He lives there, and breeds Aussie Ts...he posts on here sometimes. You should do a search with his user name, I'll bet there are some good threads about your spp!

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Normally, there is no concern about the eating, as long as the abdomen is inflated normally.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think his user name is digdown2001,what sort of setup ahev you got for the spider,is the spider always on display or out in the open?:)

maimu

Arachnopeon
thankyou all, for replying, and trying to help, it is much appreciated.

Ok where to start, i keep my Spider in a tank that is pretty much a foot X foot in size. The substrate, is a mixture of soil, and Peat moss. I have made a mound on one side of the tank, and sunk a toilet roll into it, to start off a burrow for my spider. I have a towel covering most sides of the tank, so stop most of the light getting it. I have a heat Mat, which keeps it at around 25 degrees celcius. I have been feeding her, crickets, and meal worms, however, i do not thnk she has eaten any.. My little spider, hasn't made any web, has extended her burrow only slightly. This is after 6 weeks..

anybody got any ideas, why my spider is so unhappy??

thanx all in advance.

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Steve's username on this forum is Steve Nunn. Seen him use digdown2001 on another forum.

Robert

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Is she wild caught? How large is she? Could she be in premolt?
Do you take out the prey items if you see she hasn't eaten them?
(they could hurt her during molting).