Newcomer asking for help!

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, first time posting on this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section, or has been answered already.

I recently got my first scorpion, a flat rock scorpion and would just like to know if I am looking after her correctly.

I have a heat mat on half of the enclosure (bout a 10 gal) and it changes from 70-76 degrees, and on this side I have a hide for her to go in.

On the other half I keep a water bowl with pebbles in it and have the humidity at 50-70%.

For the substrate I have about 2-4 inches of fine sand.

I have will be offer a large cricket twice a week, and if refused, wait another week.

Now she is quite aggressive (doesn't put me off, shes quite cute xd) and doesn't even like me having my hand in the cage, will she settle down or will it be a love hate relationship throughout our lives?

Thanks guys, and gals for your time.

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Everything sounds ok. Im not an expert, and know little about flat rock species..

Only thing is I might try a heat lamp over matt... If it gets hot the scorpion will just remain under the rock and essentially cook itself... Heard about this with borrowing species..

Might want to look into that, Not for sure of its dangers, but just a thought.

Always nice to have another member in the hobby!!! best of wishes:)
-Ark-

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm, it you have a heat mat in the enclosure take it out... unless you want to cook your little guy...if that so, I'd deep fry... might taste better.

Do a heat lamp if you need it, have layers of rock (like slate or something) that it can crawl between. they are pretty spiffy little guys.. enjoy him!!

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
Oh just to clarify, the heat mat is on the back, on the outside ^^

Also another thing that worries me, I have had her nearly a week now, and she never comes out of her hide, even at night (I smooth the sand infront of her hide so I would see her footprints in it) the only time she has been out is when I have lifted the hide to see if she is ok, she sulks for abit then goes right back in :D

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh just to clarify, the heat mat is on the back, on the outside ^^

Also another thing that worries me, I have had her nearly a week now, and she never comes out of her hide, even at night (I smooth the sand infront of her hide so I would see her footprints in it) the only time she has been out is when I have lifted the hide to see if she is ok, she sulks for abit then goes right back in :D
You're in Ireland, where it's cold and humid.... give her time to adjust.. they can go a good while without eating. Come out at night with a black light and see if she's moving around. Do you have any good pictures of her... how was her cage at the pet store?? I'd give her a few weeks to settle. Scorpions aren't like rabbits... they can go a long time with out eating or drinking. make sure her cage is warm... keep us updated :)

Last edited:

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
Ireland weather isn;t THAT bad :D

My house is quite warm, and if it gets cold I be sure to turn the heating on.

I understand she has to settle in, but lifeless for a week? Excuse my ignorence I am just concerned xd

The pet shop had her in a bad enclosure imo, Had a bright light on her, dirty water dish, about 2 millemetres of sand, dead crickets all in it, and no hide, just a a thin twig she couldnt even go under...

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Odd to hear that yours is so defensive/aggressive. My adult male (and all others I've come across for that matter) have been gentile giants. Eating and drinking habits sound completely normal too. Months without food is not unheard of with these guys. I would recommend mixing the sand with a little coco fiber and bark bits. Definitely some slate rocks too, staggered so there are plenty of narrow crevices for her to hide.

Example:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
I have a cave temporary till I can find some good rocks to make something like that.

I mist once or twice a day to keep the humidity at 70% best I can, does this species really require that much? I have a clean water bowl at all times.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Odd to hear that yours is so defensive/aggressive. My adult male (and all others I've come across for that matter) have been gentile giants. Eating and drinking habits sound completely normal too. Months without food is not unheard of with these guys. I would recommend mixing the sand with a little coco fiber and bark bits. Definitely some slate rocks too, staggered so there are plenty of narrow crevices for her to hide.

Example:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've heard mix things on flat rocks. My old one was pretty calm and never tried to attack me or be defensive. I guess their temperaments are pretty variable depending on the individual.