Tityus bastosi...dying?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Now it is your turn to help me. One of my 2nd instar T. bastosi molted into 3rd instar on April 29, 2011, just a few days ago. It seemed fine, and nothing seemed to go wrong in the process of molting. I was rather active until today, when I found it lying on the open substrate with its legs tucked under it, it chelae scruched up to the carapace, and the tail to the side. I was very worried, and right before I left for my work I checked it. It was crawling around again, seemingly fine. It was climbing.

I came home to find that it was in the "dead" position again. It has hardly move since, barely moving its tail, legs, and opening/closing its chelae.

What could be happening? Could this be "post-molt" behavior? The temperature was raised and the humidity was still high, but before today it was slightly cool, maybe in the 70's or low 80's. Because he has just molted, I have not offered food. I do not know if it matters, but this particular scorpion was a "late bloomer", and molted slightly more than a month after the other. Thanks for helping. To tell the truth, it does not look promising at all and I at least want to have an idea of what could have happened or what could be happening so I can possibly prevent it in the future. Has anyone else who has kept Tityus spp. and/or this particular species experienced this?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No I have not experienced this with this species. Last year I received 9 instar 2 specimens of T.bastosi, and these are still alive today. I have had similar ' problems' with T.tamayoi.
your temps (79 F or higher) seem fine, a bit too cold to my liking, but it should suffice. If the substrate is nice and humid, that could not be the problem too.

About the "late bloomer", a month later than the rest doesn't really make that much of a difference imo. It is not that late....I have had Rhopalurus bonettii's "stuck" in instar 2 for a year......talk about late blooming...

Sometimes they die of reasons we can't figure out. I think this is the case here..

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Ah, well, I will continue trying to figure out what happened...it died (or is basically dead) last night. I guess the only good thing is that it gives me an excuse to get a breeding group. Such a loss might not be so bad if I have a breeding group. Oh, and Michiel, sorry, I do not usually keep my temperatures this low. My room has been having water problems (water soaking into the carpet due to saturated soil outside) and I have been having to leave my window open and have fans on etc. I moved them upstairs; as warm air rises, it should be better for them. The temperature now is probably in the high 90's. I'll try to figure out what happened though.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
"Sometimes they die of reasons we can't figure out. I think this is the case here.."

Its happens. Even when everything is done right.

Sorry for your loss.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

Did it have access to water? or did you try to tempt it with a water globule on a piece of bark or something?

The position you described reminds me of scorpions I lost due to lack of water when going on holiday or similar

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Hey

Did it have access to water? or did you try to tempt it with a water globule on a piece of bark or something?

The position you described reminds me of scorpions I lost due to lack of water when going on holiday or similar
It did have access to water. Not standing water, but droplets of mist. If it wanted water, it should have been able to get it.