New tarantula!!!

jgod790

Arachnoknight
So I've been wanting a new T for a little while, wasn't sure if I wanted an old world or new world, but I ended up getting a Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee). And I love her! She is already as big as my full grown G. rosea. I was told she was roughly 1 1/2 - 2 years old. And if I'm not mistaken, I think that is an accurate age. She is beautiful. She demolishes the crickets faster and harder then my H. lividum! I got her yesterday, and The lady selling her to me was handling her, I also handled her yesterday. But today, I stoked her abdomen with a paint brush, and she instantly bit it! So I don't think I will handle her anymore. Is this normal for G. pulchripes? To be calm and docile one day, but very defensive the next? Her fangs are HUGE, bigger then I thought they would be considering her size. I would hate to get bit by her. So I'm not going to risk it. If anyone has any stories or opinions on G. pulchripes, I would love to hear what you all have to say. Negative or positive.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
If I'm not mistaken, most spiders do react badly to touches on their abdomen. But I could be wrong.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Well I'm just confused, cause yesterday I was holding it, not so much as a threat posture, and today, it skipped the posture and just went straight for the bite. So I really doubt I will ever handle her again.

axbrown

Arachnopeon
Don't be afraid to handle her again, alot of tarantula's mistake a paint brush or tweesers for food, and go for the kill. You put your hand in there, and the T will know its almost definitely not food. Just next time go in with gloves, and try to pick her up. My guess is she reacted to:
A. The touching of the abdomen like PhobeToPhile said, and
B. Asuming you were feeding her, and mistaking the paintbrush for food.

T's are always unpredictable, always treat them with respect, and be on the cautious side no matter what T your holding ;)

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Let's just say that all Tarantulas in the Grammostola genus are notorious for their PMS! So that's nothing new. Handling her won't be an issue. Just be sure to test the temperament (paintbrush technique) before handling.

If I'm not mistaken, most spiders do react badly to touches on their abdomen. But I could be wrong.
I wouldn't agree with this statement.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is already as big as my full grown G. rosea. I was told she was roughly 1 1/2 - 2 years old. And if I'm not mistaken, I think that is an accurate age.
I would say that 4 - 5 years old would be more accurate. I have one that I bought 4 years ago when she was about 1 1/2" and she is still a little smaller than a full size G. rosea.

Art

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Dont handle your Ts. They are driven by the survival instinct alone and cannot be domesticated, all you get from handling is a stressed out tarantula and itchy palms. But to each his own.

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
Dont handle your Ts. They are driven by the survival instinct alone and cannot be domesticated, all you get from handling is a stressed out tarantula and itchy palms. But to each his own.
Personally I don't advice handling T's, but I don't see much of an issue when it's within the Grammostola genus. PMS permitting of course. ;)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. roseas tend to be temperamental.

G. pulchripes & G. pulchra tend to be more consistently calmer.

But not to forget that all are individuals. I don't handle mine much, but she's handable & easy to work around.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The topic has been argued so that it's ridicoulus. Here's my advice don't hold them. They are and never will be domesticated. One wrong move and you can get bit regardless of the species. Basically handle at your own risk.

Matt

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I would say that 4 - 5 years old would be more accurate. I have one that I bought 4 years ago when she was about 1 1/2" and she is still a little smaller than a full size G. rosea.

Art
Well she is a little bit smaller then my full grown G. rosea. At least her abdomen. But as far as leg span goes, I'd say its pretty even. I wish tarantulas would just start coming with birth certificates already!