Any tips on care for Cyclosternum fasciatus (Tiger rump)?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I popped out to the local pet shop in my lunch break and now there's a gorgeous female Cyclosternum fasciatus sitting in a tank under my desk. I hope the company Health and Safety guy doesn't hear about this. hehehe

Can anyone give me any tips on the care of this species? Any thoughts appreciated. All my other Ts are brachys, so this is something a little different.

ps, my wife is probably gonna kill me when I get home with yet another big spider. I just couldn't stop myself. I think I need some kind of therapy.

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Luther,

Keep a little more humid than your Brachy's.

This is quiet a small sp; Females max out at around 4" and the males much smaller.

Also more nervous and a little scittish but not really defensive.

Like to burrow and web alot so not always the best show spider shame because they are very beautiful =D

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Kevo.

Will she remain fully terrestrial or will she prefer to climb? Should I give her 50/50 soil/vermiculite substrate to burrow in? Would she prefer a shelter on the ground or the side of the tank?

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A shelter will do fine with about 2" peat moss,misted about once a week or fortnight,They are a little skittish and can quick to run,but nothing really to be concerned with,the are good feeders taken fairly large pray,As has already being said they are quite small but they make yp for it with colour;) :) :D

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi luther,
Yes C faciatum will remain terrestrial, and they will use a hide if provided, The substrate is fine, keep it damp but not soaked. They will push the substrate around quite a bit.:)

No worries :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Aviculariinae
taken fairly large pray
Didn't know they were spiders of God Brendan :D

Mine never ever stops earth moving.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats Luther on your find. None of the pet stores
I've been to have anything other then the common
tarantulas you see. Hide the tarantula when you
take it home! I know the feeling, but at least
my daughter and son-in-law like them so much.
Sharon

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks people.

It was a very suprising find. So was the shop, since it has been in the town where I work for 15 years and I only discovered it today. I've worked here for 6 years. They are getting a fresh shipment of tarantulas in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably be repeating this "mistake" all over again next month.

The tiger rump has proven quite popular here at work. I've had a constant stream of visitors wanting to have a look.

pc, cricket54, I'll be claiming that I bought this for my kids too. I'm pretty sure my wife is getting wise to that one though.

Last edited: