Creating enclosure help!

Shea

Arachnosquire
So i made this enclosure out of plexiglass... sorry for the bad quality

My problem is that the plexiglass is warping because of the red heat lamp i use. (im only assuming its from the light)

Also! The caulk i used was TERRIBLE! It grantees no peeling yet it did just that. (i used 100% clear silicone) I plan on using glass even tho i didnt want to deal with that but i just need to know if the caulk will work better on the glass because when it was on the plexiglass it was terrible. Otherwise hot glue will be my alternative. Thanks!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
You do not need a heat lamp! If you're comfortable than they are too. Remove the heat lamp. In the future try aquarium grade silicone or use acrylic cement like this. Hope this helps!

Shea

Arachnosquire
Its the brick coconut fiber
I know the heat lamp is unnecessary but in the winter its completely necessary and ive had it off for the past week and will have it off for the rest of the summer
GREAT! i didnt know there was specific silicone for aquariums! thanks!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Its the brick coconut fiber
I know the heat lamp is unnecessary but in the winter its completely necessary and ive had it off for the past week and will have it off for the rest of the summer
GREAT! i didnt know there was specific silicone for aquariums! thanks!
I use a heater in the winter, it gets pretty cold here also. As long as temp don't drop below 60F, I don't see a problem for a G. rosea. I believe the part of Chile were they are from gets colder than you would expect. Read this.

Here is a good read also. :D

Shea

Arachnosquire
Haha sounds great! I have a small room in my basement and im looking into an oil space heater once i get more T's and putting them all in there but for now i only have 3. By winter i will prolly have enough :drool: to dedicate a small room to

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had trouble with the thin acrylic warping. Even the thick stuff will if the enclosure is kept humid, which is unlikely in your situation.
The acrylic cement is the way to go. I have bad luck with silicone sticking to acrylic.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha sounds great! I have a small room in my basement and im looking into an oil space heater once i get more T's and putting them all in there but for now i only have 3. By winter i will prolly have enough :drool: to dedicate a small room to
The oil filled heaters are amazing. I have been using one for several years.
They do a very good job.