Baby Millipede?

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
So, I was digging around in my yard yesterday and I believe I have found a baby millipede??? It is just a tiny thing at about 1/2 inch and that might be a bit of an overkill. Is there a way that I can be sure I have a millipede? The legs seem to stick out just slightly on the sides, and there seems to be 2 legs per segment but it's hard to tell. Also, it curls into a ball like an isopod. It is very light in color with a dark stripe down the center of its body going head to tail. I have been looking for a website that lists the millipedes here in NW FL but I can't seem to find one, any suggestions? The millipede? in question isn't real active. At times it almost seems frozen in time and just stops moving, then later it's moved to a different spot. I have it in a tiny little condiment cup with some coco fiber and some leaf litter from the yard where I found it. I am keeping it moist. Beyond that I am unsure of what to do since I do not know what it is exactly. I know that is it hard for anyone to help much w/o a pic but my dinosaur of a camera will never get a good pic of this little thing. I really hope that I stumbled upon a baby millipede but I guess we will just wait and see! Thanks in advance for all your help!

web eviction

Arachnolord
Definetly looks like a milipede to me as far as what kind your guess is as good as mine as far as care goes supply it with what you found it in must have been happy there for you too find it there :} goodluck...

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
Definetly looks like a milipede to me as far as what kind your guess is as good as mine as far as care goes supply it with what you found it in must have been happy there for you too find it there :} goodluck...
Thx for the response. I know it was hard with the pics. :( I would really just love to know if it is a baby at this point...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Which one of these does it look like?

The millipedes on the left are Chicobolus spinigerus and the millipedes on the right are Narceus gordanus.

I'm guessing by your description of it that it's N. gordanus.

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
xhexdx...I can't say that it looks like either for sure. The coloring matches the ones on the right better, but mine has a dark stripe down the center of its body. Is that common in a baby? At this point I just want to know if it is a baby. I'm guessing that it is, but maybe its a tiny species. I know NOTHING about millipedes but I would love to hold on to this little thing.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
xhexdx...I can't say that it looks like either for sure. The coloring matches the ones on the right better, but mine has a dark stripe down the center of its body. Is that common in a baby? At this point I just want to know if it is a baby. I'm guessing that it is, but maybe its a tiny species. I know NOTHING about millipedes but I would love to hold on to this little thing.
The "dark stripe" is the ventral heart. It is more visible in babies.