Help me sex this Avic...pretty please?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for yet another sexing help thread -- I know I should be posting in the gallery, but I'd really like some opinions ASAP. I picked up this A. avic at the pet shop I work at, and since I'm pretty bad at sexing with the naked eye (I do much better with blown-up flash macro photos), I chose it at random. There was another the same size (about 3.5") that seemed to me to look different ventrally. If this is a male, I'll probably bring it back tomorrow and switch it for the other one. Thanks in advance!

It's male, isn't it...?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, thanks! I'll pick up the other one today, and try to post another ventral shot. Hopefully that one's female...at this size I bet the male's going to mature pretty quickly.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 on male. He has alot of hair covering his privates.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, take two! Boy Avic is back at the shop, and I took the other one home today.

Definitely looks like a lady to me, but feel free to let me know if I'm mistaken.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The first one is male, the second one you brought back is female.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys! I think I get how this sexing thing works now. My new Avic's just adorable. :)

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
FYI to all who read this thread.... The male that she originally picked and then returned to the store has been labeled as a male AND reduced in price in fairness to our customers. I may be an LPS, but I'd prefer to be known as a FAIR one! :)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, first one is male and second one is female
just to confirm
what avics are those?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anastasia, they are A. avicularia.
Angela -- hi! Haha. I hope it's alright that I returned that male. If I didn't think he was going to mature way before the female, I might have taken them both and tried my hand at breeding.

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will admit I was a little ticked at finding out 2nd hand and on my own, but since it was done above board with boss-man's permission, I'm cool with it. :) Just make sure you let me know about that kind of stuff since he doesn't have the best communication skills with regards to the things that are important to ME!! :wall: I would have felt bad selling it at full price not knowing it was male and having it die on an unsuspecting customer! It's all good. ;)

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm still learning how stuff goes at the store. Now that I realize how serious you are about the Ts, I will of course always go to you about stuff like this if the issue arises (not that I foresee that happening)! It's cool of you to discount that male, but do we usually price sexed males and females differently? Just curious.