Worried

tristandude3

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I recently got a GBB sling and i think its in premolt. But im worried because it hasnt eaten since the day i got it, and its been about a week and a half. Its just a little guy 3/4", so im worried that it might starve. Any advice?

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Well, most T's will generally fast prior to a molt. If it's refusing food, just make sure it has water and keep an eye on it. Does it act sluggish at all?

tristandude3

Arachnopeon
Ya, its just been chilling in its enclosure and not moving very much. I heard that slings that small cant live much longer than a week or two without food.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya, its just been chilling in its enclosure and not moving very much. I heard that slings that small cant live much longer than a week or two without food.
You heard wrong.

If the abdomen doesn't look small (relative to the spider's size, of course) or shriveled, then you've got nothing to worry about.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Yea, that's not true at all. Like I said, make sure it has water. What, may I ask, have you been trying to feed it?

Skordog

Arachnopeon
I just went through this with one of my first T's. It is an A. versicolor (about 3/4"-1") and it stopped eating about 2 weeks after I got it. It took 4 weeks before it molted. I would occasionally try to feed it just in case it wasn't molting, but that is what was going on. So, yeah they can last a long time.

ElevenBravo

Arachnopeon
In my experience slings that small are scared of live prey offer those same sized crickets prekilled. If it still will not take it then its in premolt. My best results with slings has been small meal worms torn in half. It is also possible your sling is not hungry but Imho your next thread wil be about your freshly molted sling. I wouldnt worry about the length of time between meals but like stated above the abdomen size if its extremely tiny or shriveled then id worry.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If a gbb turns down a meal, just assume it's premolt lol. Mine are very hardy eaters...