Poecilotheria rufilata *BITE REPORT* link inside

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Brandon
I could feel the muscles in my chest tighten and my heart felt like it was about to burst.
Sorry to hear about that dude. That's just one more reason that I will never get a Pokie.

Jon

p.s. Sorry for the reply on the bite report, I'm trying to get that removed.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
what exactly is a pokie>??
Pokie is short hand for any species of the genus Poecilotheria.

Jon

Christofear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sounds like a nasty bite :(

don't suppose you could post some pics of your T and the wound?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats bad but it doesn't seem as bad as some i've read, with muscle spasms lasting for weeks

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sounds like a fun time, j/k.
Sorry to hear you got bitten dude. Not as bad as some I've read though, you probably felt like you had to puke from your nerves or something. Just my opinion.
Jon, pokies aren't bad, just be careful with them. They are fun! :)

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well truth is I wasnt all that nervious, iv been bit before by other tarantulas, its just this time it hurt allot more.

Ill post pics as soon as I get bateries for my camera

Sincerely,

Bramdon

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Brandon!
nice to see you posting...even if it's a pokie bite report ;)
So, on a scale of 1-10, and compared to other genuses...how bad was it really?!

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
The woman at my local reptile store got bitten by a P.Regalis and was off sick for 4 days! You seem to have gotten off more lightly. I guess it depends on the individual's ability to tolerate the venom - some are more vulnerable than others.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But you don't know till it happens to you, people have different sensitivites and pain tolerance levels. You never know, she could have been milking it. :p

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HEY BRANDON!

remember me? Im the guy who bought your male and female Usambara oranges at the reptile show in Phoenix awhile back.

I think it was like 3 or 4 months ago.

anyway, yikes dude sounds painfull, but It wouldnt sway me from expanding my poecilotheria collection.

are you planning on breeding your Rufilata off?

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Martin H.
Yes, I would still recomend a pokie, mearly because they arnt all that agressive as people make them out to be, I respect them and thats all it takes, I broke that boundry and paid the price.

Holley

Compaired with the aphonopelma bites iv sufferd it was a 10

heyjeyniceid

Yes I remember you, how are those two anyway? and i hope to breed them someday

Pokies are still my favorite, and I think that people who want them should own them, its all about respect and that goes for all tarantulas, they are wild animals and will never be tamed. Just be carful ;)

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
thats bad but it doesn't seem as bad as some i've read, with muscle spasms lasting for weeks
Actually, in some cases (depends of the organism - I assume) the muscle spasms after the pokie's bite could last for ... years.
I work with the guy from Sri-Lanka who was bitten by P. fasciata when he was 18.
Now he's 45 and still has occasionally muscle spasms.
Canadian doctors wasn't able to figure out the source of these spasms until he told them about the spider bite then they says it's the cause of unknown toxins in venom.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"heyjeyniceid

Yes I remember you, how are those two anyway? and i hope to breed them someday"

theyre doing great, although i did have an accident when I was handling the female. She got away from my hand and went up a book shelf and when I tried to recapture her with a deli cup, one of her legs got caught and she let it go.

that was about two months ago so shes quite fine now if not a little on the chunky side.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brandon..
Oh, <poop.. - MrD>

Thanks God you´re OK!
I think that it could have been worse..

Be careful!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Yerks! How are you feeling, Brandon??? Sorry you had an accident with your Pokie. Keep us posted...

Peace, light & eternal love...
Gillian
)0(

does this dissuade me from getting a pokie? nope..

sm0KySpIDer

Arachnopeon
sorry to hear that

a poecilotheria rufilata was my first spider (2 years ago) but i wouldnt recommend this for a starter. you just have to know what u are dealing with and my pokie never gave me a threat position.

so every new serious bite report is interesting to me cause i think if u read them often u will keep up the respect they deserve

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
My friend was bit by a p.ornata he said he had trouble breathing for 3 days after being hospitalized for 2 days cramps lasted 2 weeks, I’m not sure about the nausea he had but he said the initial bite was intense and cramping all over his body happened within 30 min in. the bite this was only a 4” male I believe wouldn’t wanna get struck by an adult that’s for sure
He told me he was struck because he was being careless and spooked the p.ornata during a maintenance before he could react it was over there fast but like stated before not usually defensive more skittish as long as you don’t spook a pokie it should go smooth I wouldn’t let the venom potency stop you from adding them to your collection, just take special care when interacting with this species unlike the obt I haven’t had one shoot out at me like it was stuffed in a cannon