My new Psalmopoeus irminia looks a tad...underfed.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I just received my P. Irminia from an online dealer and her abdomen is really, really tiny. Take a look, sorry for the poor lighting. It was the best I could do without bothering her:

Now here's my question: Does she look underfed or dehydrated? Her abdomen doesn't look "shriveled" necessarily, but it's tiny as heck as you can see.

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From the pictures I would say that abdomen is definitely shriveled looking. Offer it plenty of water and food and message the dealer to see why they sent out such a sickly looking spider.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say underfed AND dehydrated. I would offer food and water ASAP.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

From the pictures I would say that abdomen is definitely shriveled looking. Offer it plenty of water and food and message the dealer to see why they sent out such a sickly looking spider.
Yea,if that is from a dealer I would be very cautious ordering anything else from them.

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
Could be either or, or both. Definitely make sure you get it some water IMMEDIATELY, and try to feed it in the next day or two, so that it's had some time to adjust at least a little bit. But it looks underfed and dehydrated to me as well.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Well dehydrated was my first thought. She has a full, fresh bowl of water in there and I misted the heck out of her container before I put her in there, so water should not be a problem soon enough. I need to get her some crickets, or would super worms be a better idea at this point (as I actually have those on hand)?

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Feeding it anything will be an improvement. I just hate how those worms burrow...tongs would help if they do burrow on you.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Feeding it anything will be an improvement. I just hate how those worms burrow...tongs would help if they do burrow on you.
I have tongs. I've had a few of those little guys get away. I'll see if she'll take food a little later today. I hope she'll be alright...:wall:

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say get her hydrated and then try feeding her - no sense stressing her. How is her behavior? Does she appear alert or a little lazy? Definitely make the dealer aware... folks shouldn't ship a spider that looks like that.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I'd say get her hydrated and then try feeding her - no sense stressing her. How is her behavior? Does she appear alert or a little lazy? Definitely make the dealer aware... folks shouldn't ship a spider that looks like that.
She's moving around, but way more slowly than you'd think. She almost seems lethargic, but she's responsive. She even showed me a bit of threat posture when I nudged her with my tongs. :eek:

Verneph

Arachnosquire
UPDATE: So I came home to find that she had retreated into the hide I set up for her, which is good. I offered a meal worm to her and she NAILED that thing! It felt like a bullet had struck my tongs! That worm felt nothing in the end.

In any case, she took the food which is a good sign. I'll offer some more later when she finishes that worm.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Ya. Enjoy your holloween T.
Oh, I shall.

UPDATE: She's been hunting and eating the few crickets I've put in there for her. I'll see if she wants another worm later on as she is still quite skinny.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
from my understanding, the most likely reason your T looks underfed is this: if it were fat and happy and was shipped like that there is more of a chance of the abdomen being ruptuted due to the handling and shipping process. i have gotten a couple Ts via fedex over 3 inches that were underfed. its more for their safety

Verneph

Arachnosquire
from my understanding, the most likely reason your T looks underfed is this: if it were fat and happy and was shipped like that there is more of a chance of the abdomen being ruptuted due to the handling and shipping process. i have gotten a couple Ts via fedex over 3 inches that were underfed. its more for their safety
Hm, interesting. That does make some sense and she's obviously not sickly with how she's been eating.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That makes sense--but I've never received a spider that was THAT underfed IME.
Anyway--between the threat pose, and strong feeding response, I think your little lady will be fine.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
You've nothing to worry about. I dissagree with shipping a T that underfed.