Brachypelma vagans

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am getting a 3" female B vagans from Invertepet next week. I have been reading whatever I can find on this tarantula but I'm getting rather confused. One site will say they are docile but skittish like here
http://www.bighairyspiders.com/grinch.shtml
http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Faculty_Staff/Rayor/Spiders/Tarantulas.html#Age_Species

Another site will say they are fairly aggressive like here,
http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpages/insects/tarantulas/TAR5687.shtml

and then this page is..., well, I'm sure they are referring to an avic of some sort, at least half way through the page:confused:
http://mysite.freeserve.com/Hatchery/caresheet_brach_vagan.htm

One thing I've found to be consistant is the humidity level should be a bit higher. Any B vagans owners out there, can you tell me about the temperament of these Ts? I'd like to know what to generally expect.

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well they seem to have quiet a wicked feeding responce very greedy :} They have individual tempraments, a lot like B smithi, can be a little skittish at first but once on your hand seem to calm down a lot, at least the one's I've known did :cool:

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info:D

Just to clarify things, I don't plan to handle it. I'm quite happy not handling my T's but I would like to know what to expect for certain kinds. You know, are they jumpy, are they flicky, do they like to play dead and then jab your finger when you're not looking, will they scurry up the glass at the slightest disturbance? Just things that can prepare me for a species I don't have. Just because it is a Brachy doesn't really tell me that it will act like other brachys I have, although I understand each has it's own personality.

Angela

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine has just crossed over into the " bigger than a speck" size,so I'm sorry I cant give you anything useful except she's my favorite little "fuzz" best of luck,i'm sure you'll like yours.
Angela

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My B vagans is skittish but only sometimes most of the time it isn't and is very docile

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Diane : See my thread at: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=395077#post395077

Perhaps we will discover that what has been labelled as B. vagans covers multiple specie..
The spider I had that I thought to be a B. vagans was quite agressive. No she would not storm the walls to get at you, but anything that came near her was fair game, be it crix, forceps or hands. A difficult beast to transfer. I have never made it a habit to handle tarantulas. Although if you tried with this one, I think it would actually have been easy, with fangs buried in your hand!

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. vagans descriptions are on the other thread Bagheera just referenced.

All I will add is that mine are quite healthy being raised on dry substrate, water dish overflowed at times, especially molts, to temporarily raise humidity. They both seem to fill the water dishes, so they also sometimes go a week before I fill the water dishes for them. They like it dry, from what I can see! Raised from sling to now about 4" like this.

As for skittishness, I think of skittish as wanting to be left alone, trying to get away, getting defensive if you don't leave it alone. That is not what mine are like at all. It is more like they will check out anything coming into their keepers. They move quickly or in quick, determined-looking spurts. They move toward, more often than away, no sign of fear or shyness. They look very bold and opportunistic and completely in charge of their homes!

I love them!

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bagheera said:
Diane : See my thread at: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=395077#post395077

Perhaps we will discover that what has been labelled as B. vagans covers multiple specie..
The spider I had that I thought to be a B. vagans was quite agressive. No she would not storm the walls to get at you, but anything that came near her was fair game, be it crix, forceps or hands. A difficult beast to transfer. I have never made it a habit to handle tarantulas. Although if you tried with this one, I think it would actually have been easy, with fangs buried in your hand!
bagheera: See the date of this thread, 2004.... Why do people dig up old threds like this????

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
bagheera: See the date of this thread, 2004.... Why do people dig up old threds like this????
What do u mean old thread? that thread was started yesterday.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The other thread linked is a 2005 thread, too. Bagheera's join date is Jan 2005 and he (?) started the thread that he linked. And it's on the board not too many threads away from this one... :} Wonder where you got the 2004? Or why an "old" thread would bother you anyway? :?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
The other thread linked is a 2005 thread, too. Bagheera's join date is Jan 2005 and he (?) started the thread that he linked. And it's on the board not too many threads away from this one... :} Wonder where you got the 2004? Or why an "old" thread would bother you anyway? :?
I am not talking about the thread that is linked to it, the original thread was last posted to in Feb of 2004 that is where I got the 2004, I have not even seen much of Diane on the boards for the last 6-8 months, guess I am just in a little bit of a bad mood and maybe should not be posting right now.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My B.Vagans has always been very docile, but never to hesitant to flick all of those beautiful red hairs. :p I also keep mine very dry, never over filling the dish, just always keeping it full. When it was around 1'' it liked to burrow a lot, and was quick to retreat to it. Now that it's 3'' and in a larger enclosure It just sits in one spot. I gave it a large coconut half to hide in or start a burrow, but he decided it would be better to fill it with dirt and web over the entrance. {D

My Vagas has also been very quick to eat, and rarely turns down a meal. A great species. Hasn't given me a threat posture in all the time I've had it, but was the first T to flick hairs at me. All in all a great T, you'll enjoy yours.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
I am not talking about the thread that is linked to it, the original thread was last posted to in Feb of 2004 that is where I got the 2004, I have not even seen much of Diane on the boards for the last 6-8 months, guess I am just in a little bit of a bad mood and maybe should not be posting right now.
I see now. Yeah, it's old. Maybe this is what happens when the "search" is used. I guess I don't mind an old thread, anyway.

As for posting in a bad mood, well, that's OK. Don't we all do that? Just hope you feel better. :)