New on the market

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apparently these new contraptions are new on the market acording to the owner of the reptile house in Newcastle.

I thought I'd buy one and try it out. So far it seams quite handy. It's much better than chasing teh crix around with the tweezers.

All the crix gather in the black tubes then you remove the tubed and the flam at the top closed to stop any others escaping and thn you tap the tube in the tarantulas tank and out drops a crix. It's pretty simple and basic but it's quite nifty of keeping the crixs in to feed you T's

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i had one...

it worked great when feeding reptile beasts- when you dont mind dropping in many crickets at once- the crickets would pack themselves into those tubes, so you really arent positive how many you are "knocking into" the containers until they drop..

I think it is a great invention, and sure beats chasing the stupid crickets around. However, I dont use one when feeding my Ts because I think it is easier to just grab a couple out at a time for each T than knocking too many in, then having to "fish" them out later.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: i had one...

Originally posted by rapunzel
it worked great when feeding reptile beasts- when you dont mind dropping in many crickets at once- the crickets would pack themselves into those tubes, so you really arent positive how many you are "knocking into" the containers until they drop..

I think it is a great invention, and sure beats chasing the stupid crickets around. However, I dont use one when feeding my Ts because I think it is easier to just grab a couple out at a time for each T than knocking too many in, then having to "fish" them out later.
If you tap it gently only one at a time dropes out. You can allways hold your finger over it and catch one as it dropes.

I just think it's a batter way of catching them, instead of chasing them round the tank with a pair of tweezers every time you need to feed your T's

I also bought a portable fridge to to put the crix in 10 mins before feeding to slow them down.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
But who's using tweezers? My fingers are far better at catching roaches or whatever I'm feeding my spiders than any forceps could possibly be. This is one of those devices that fortunately works as promised, it just doesn't actually serve any actual need.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
But who's using tweezers? My fingers are far better at catching roaches or whatever I'm feeding my spiders than any forceps could possibly be.
You must not use a lot of pinhead crickets ;)

Joy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
You must not use a lot of pinhead crickets ;)
The only time I've ever worked with true pinheads is when Kelly Swift sends them with an order. That said, I actually can pick up a pinhead or fruitfly with my hands and *usually* not harm it. Still, what I generally do is dump the really tiny stuff (f.flies, termites, pinheads) into a vial and sprinkle like salt - even my soft touch forceps at work wouldn't help with these sorts of things.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't think this is that new to the market as i got a used one quite a while ago.. i think it's a way to make a sell... and also before i had so many crix (over 1000 live) i kept mine in that same kricket keeper. Now what i would do is take out the two black tube thingys and and tape down the the little flaps that cover it once the tube is out, i even taped the whole lid to the container so if it was to fall the crix couldn't get out...
Then i would put a slice of orange and crix food in the other corner with an occasional piece of egg carton for a hide... now when you want to get a crix out one at a time you open that clear see through lid which btw snaps shut nicely so that if the container did tip over it wouldn't open and let the bugs out hence why i didn't tape it.. so like i was saying you, i would get the black tube and open the clear lid and cup a cricket with the tube and move it around a bit causing the crix to climb up... then i would take it out, cover it with my hand or that clear plastic cap it brings and voila! one crix on the tube... i found the container too small for 15 or more crix though... who knows i might use it for a t one day...