How to Rehouse an Unhappy Tarantula (PICS)

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Step 1. Ask the Tarantula how it feels about moving

Step 2. Ignore any protests

Step 3. Make sure the new home is prepared

Step 4. Secure the Tarantula

Step 5. Move the Tarantula

Step 6. Get ready for a fight

Step 7. GTFO of there

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
XD wow I must have REALLY pissed her off, because its been almost an hour now and she is STILL in that threat posture! Hasnt moved at all!

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Somewhere around 4". Here is a pic with pencil and dollar bill for size reference:

Fun fact: The "leg" note on the tank refers to the leg she lost in a molt on that date, which you can see has grown back partially in the first pic
Also means she has only molted ONCE since that date! Cant wait for her to get full size!

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Tell her to chill out.

If someone gave me a new house for free I'd be well chuffed.

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
haha :clap: my p irminia wasnt having any of its new home haha. My obt was waaay more cooperative ;P

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
haha :clap: my p irminia wasnt having any of its new home haha. My obt was waaay more cooperative ;P
Thats weird, I have always had to chill my OBT in the fridge before I attempted to move them. In fact I do that for a lot of my fast T's, mainly because I am paranoid and lazy.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
haha... what a nicely illustrated procedure... i especially like the "GTFO of there" part. :wall: anyway, nice T you have there...

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
yeah gambit ive never done that... the obt as very calm even though most of the time its not.. When its out of its web i guess it becomes less defensive.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
Thats weird, I have always had to chill my OBT in the fridge before I attempted to move them. In fact I do that for a lot of my fast T's, mainly because I am paranoid and lazy.
how long would you stick it in the fridge to ''chill out'' b4 rehousing?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
how long would you stick it in the fridge to ''chill out'' b4 rehousing?
About <5 minutes, max. Just long enough for them to get a chill. I can almost pick them up with my hand at that point. Its probably super stressful on the tarantula, but its not like I am rehousing them every week. Most of mine will spend the rest of their lives in the tanks they're in now.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
About <5 minutes, max. Just long enough for them to get a chill. I can almost pick them up with my hand at that point. Its probably super stressful on the tarantula, but its not like I am rehousing them every week. Most of mine will spend the rest of their lives in the tanks they're in now.
I've only done this with my OBTs, and I was ridiculed on here for it. But you know what? I wasnt risking anything. These 5" females werent being cooperative. haha.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ya guys are laaazzyy. I just poke them in the general direction of the tank so they bolt inside!! it's like teleportation!

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I've only done this with my OBTs, and I was ridiculed on here for it. But you know what? I wasnt risking anything. These 5" females werent being cooperative. haha.
Yeah some people get pissy about it on here, but I really dont care what they think. All my bugs are still in good health.