scorpions were a hit!

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Our school had a career academy fair to show off possible areas of future study to students. I was in charge of the Life Science academy where we highlighted careers in medicine, environmental science, marine science, and zoology.

One of the most popular displays was one I made with a shoebox and emperor scorpions. I stood a shoe box upright with bricks on all sides so it couldn't be shook. At the top was a hole to look in, in the middle was a UV light, in the bottom was an emperor scorpion. The UV light was offset from center so you could see the scorpion light up blue-green at the bottom. Next to the shoebox was a tank of scorpions in regular light for comparison. I had a student stand by the display to explain about the phospors in the exoskeleton, and make sure students looked but didn't touch (safety for the scorpions). When they asked if they were venomous, I expained they were mildly venomous to humans, but also demonstarted how docile they were.

We had lizards, snakes, insects, birds, mammals, but the glow in the dark scorpions were a huge hit.

The more kids fear something, the more interesting it becomes to them. The majority of people fear scorpions, but Friday they got to get close to them without being harmed, and learned not all are dangerous to humans. :)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great job!

And it sounds like it was a lot of fun, too! Awesome for you, and for all of us scorpion keepers! :)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oops

I meant to post this on the scorpion thread, not the myriopod thread...any way to move it?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
admins will likely notice and move it

Ya know, leave it to me to leave out the most important part! Not only good for you and good for keepers, Good for our beloved scorps! Seeing them in a better light than they are often portrayed is a great thing for them all around! :)