Blog for noobs

jgod790

Arachnoknight
...uhhm is there a point to that? There is little, to absolutely no valuable information on there at all.

JamieC

Arachnopeon
I have to say I found it quite pointless. The information is very basic and doesn't apply to different species. Unless your going to provide individual care guides for individual species the information can be misleading. Some of the information is incorrect. It is also riddled with spelling mistakes.

You should do more research and gain more experience before attempting to advise others.

Jamie :)

xStainD

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna have to agree with the above posts. Also, you probably shouldn't use pics from google, you wouldn't want to fined for copyright infringment

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but I think perhaps you should wait to make a site like this until you've been in the hobby a while and gained more knowledge and first-hand experience. Think of it as an exciting future project, but don't get too ahead of yourself. There's so much info out there already that if you're going to contribute something new, make sure it's worthy. Some things just take time. Realistically, I don't think I would be ready to make an informational T website either, despite having learned quite a bit about them over the past few years. If you do decide to go ahead with this project, I also think you should take care to thoroughly check the grammar and spelling. That stuff would go a long way toward getting your blog taken seriously. :)

JamieC

Arachnopeon
Having read through it again in more detail, there are several changes you should think of making if your serious about using this blog to educate newcomers.

I'm not an expert by any means, but here are some things that caught my eye that really need correcting.

Firstly, it's Chilean Rose, not Chillian Rose. As in the country Chile, not the popular dish, Chilli. I'm not one for correcting spelling and grammar, but no one will take you seriously if you can't even spell the species name correctly.

Catching wild caught food is not a good idea! Regardless of whether you think they haven't been sprayed with pesticides. Bugs can travel miles, so knowing for sure whether or not they are safe is impossible. Crickets are available at most pet stores at affordable prices.

Tarantula bites can result in much more than just a bad case of swelling! Some species can deliver really painful bites with very potent venom that can put you out of sorts for weeks! Poecilotheria and Stromatopelma are just two off a long list that can pack a really nasty bite. Symptoms include, muscle cramps, sickness, even heart palpitations. Read the bite reports.

To say that a T.blondi has 3" fangs is just ridiculous. That is a massive exaggeration! Although I've never kept one, I wouldn't describe it as one of the most aggressive species either.

I apologise if you think I'm attacking you, but misinformation is damaging to the hobby. There are tons of badly constructed caresheets online and this is the latest in a long line. If you really intend to help newcomers, then revise it or ditch it altogether.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Having read through it again in more detail, there are several changes you should think of making if your serious about using this blog to educate newcomers.

I'm not an expert by any means, but here are some things that caught my eye that really need correcting.

Firstly, it's Chilean Rose, not Chillian Rose. As in the country Chile, not the popular dish, Chilli. I'm not one for correcting spelling and grammar, but no one will take you seriously if you can't even spell the species name correctly.

Catching wild caught food is not a good idea! Regardless of whether you think they haven't been sprayed with pesticides. Bugs can travel miles, so knowing for sure whether or not they are safe is impossible. Crickets are available at most pet stores at affordable prices.

Tarantula bites can result in much more than just a bad case of swelling! Some species can deliver really painful bites with very potent venom that can put you out of sorts for weeks! Poecilotheria and Stromatopelma are just two off a long list that can pack a really nasty bite. Symptoms include, muscle cramps, sickness, even heart palpitations. Read the bite reports.

To say that a T.blondi has 3" fangs is just ridiculous. That is a massive exaggeration! Although I've never kept one, I wouldn't describe it as one of the most aggressive species either.

I apologise if you think I'm attacking you, but misinformation is damaging to the hobby. There are tons of badly constructed caresheets online and this is the latest in a long line. If you really intend to help newcomers, then revise it or ditch it altogether.

SHHHHH!!! Don't tell people how potent some tarantula venom really is!!! You just Had to bring the Poecilotheria species up didn't you?!?!

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I can appreciate what you are trying to do here but...okay, let's just take it from the top.

What's good:

1. You have a nice, friendly tone in your writing. This is excellent for communicating with people who are new to T's and wish to learn more. You're voicing your words appropriately for your audience.

2. You have good intentions with this, and your desire to help the hobby is appreciated.

What's bad:

1. Your grammar, while not the worst I've seen, needs some work. Proofreading is your friend and a simple re-read of this would have solved a lot of your issues. Just in a brief skim I noticed little things like multiple letters where there shouldn't be, run-on sentences and a misunderstanding of the difference between "your" and "you're". Mind you, these are all small, easily fixable problems but if you want to be taken professionally and seriously you will have to at least be able to show you have an understanding of the English language.

2. Some of the information is either too basic or blatantly wrong. I won't go into more detail on that as most everyone before me has already pointed out the specifics, but I'll just say that misinformation is what hurts our hobby the most.

3. The layout bothers me, though I do not know if that is your fault or your blog host's.

4. The coloration is awful considering what your blog is about. Try picking a color scheme that fits better with your theme like a rainforest or just more 'natural' looking colors.

I'm not trying to be mean with all this, but if you're going to turn this into a serious blog there is a lot of work to be done. I hope to see you improve upon it. :)