Moving across country

Scherecwich

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I've got a rose legged T (I forget the species name), which is about five months old, he's a little bigger than a quarter.

Problem is, I just got a new job five states away. I'm pretty sure I can't carry him on the plane.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perhaps you could ship him to your new address right before you leave. There are lots of good tutorials on packing and shipping a T on the internet -- Google it, run a search on AB, and check out some YouTube videos. It's really quite simple!

xStainD

Arachnopeon
I would just carefully pack him into your carry-on bag. I've done this a couple times with snakes and lizards before without any problems.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL they wont notice - trust me but I believe its illegal ;)

synyster

Arachnobaron
+1 to astraldisaster's reply. I personally don't think carrying it with you is worth the risk of getting caught...

49ers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can't you just say "I didn't know"?

But they're probably make you get rid of it.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, it might work, if you pack it into a small vial with lots of damp paper towel. But...if you're caught, you will lose your T and that will almost certainly be the end for it. :\ Why risk it? If you pack well enough, mailing it priority for an extra $6 - $10 will be much less risky.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
trying to smuggle anything onto a plane these days is down right stupid. With all of the searches they do now... Why don't you just call the airline and ask if you can arange to bring your tarantula. If they wont do it, just ship it to yourself.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There have been a couple of other posts about this recently, and I remember the consensus being that there was only one airline that would take spiders as checked luggage (don't remember which one it was). All others don't allow them at all.

k2power

Arachnoknight
If one airline accepts them then it means it is not illegal. It may be against company policy and they would still have the option of not allowing it on the plane and possibly you but you would not be breaking a law I believe. It would be risky if you didn't make its presence known. I did it successfully a month ago incognito but was taking a risk.

loreleisg

Arachnopeon
I would call up the airline and ask. Odds are that if they accept dogs/cats they SHOULD accept a T as long as it's in a small container and you complain enough if they reject it. I know if you leave out of a major airport they often have post offices so you could ship it out in a worst case scenario.

But as several people already said, shipping it would probably be the most failproof way to make sure the T stays safe.