enclosure size vs. T size?

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found this great storage container at WalMart for $7 that should be perfect to use for martin's setup for obligate burrowers (fill 2/3 with substrate, make airholes near top and make a tunnel down front glass). It's a round cannister, 10" tall and 5" in diameter, made of thick, perfectly clear plastic with a locking lid.

My question is this: How large of an obligate burrower would be "comfortable" in this enclosure? I would think that such species don't need a lot of surface area as much as they need depth, but not sure. Or does it depend on which species?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Room, probably enough ... but ventilation ...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by BigBadConrad
My question is this: How large of an obligate burrower would be "comfortable" in this enclosure? I would think that such species don't need a lot of surface area as much as they need depth, but not sure.
At 10" tall you're going to want a couple of inches for space at the top, so say you can have about 7.5" of substrate. That pretty much limits you to, at the most, a 5" specimen and that's pushing things, probably be better off keeping it 4" or under.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Big enough for adult lividum or similar, bit of a squeeze for something like an H.schmidti :)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Real tight squeeze for an adult C.crawshayi as well. Though should be about right for most Cerat adults...